System restore not working

Zerogravity 20:15 23 Sep 2009

I have tried to use system restore on my NC10 netbook (XP)and it didn't work. I tried 3 different points to restore to but at the end it says that restore could not be performed and nothing has been changed on the system.
However, it works in safe mode.
Why can't I restore in normal mode?

birdface 20:31 23 Sep 2009

Anti-Virus will be stopping it especially if you are using Norton.

Zerogravity 22:14 23 Sep 2009

I am not using Norton, I am using AVG8 free, and it never stopped system restore on my desktops before, (though I did have some problems with AVG 7.5 freezing my system at boot up, and messing up with IE6), but it never messed up system restore.
The reason why I wanted to restore my netbook is that I was trying to see a thread on PC advisor, in Window 7 forums, and for some reason every time I was clicking on the thread my browser (IE7) was freezing, I had to close it down. I did try to go to the thread a few times but every time it was freezing.
I tried tonight and this time it worked, but as I said I did arrive to use restore but on safe mode.
Maybe an AVG update might have done it?
I've never had those problems before.

birdface 23:18 23 Sep 2009

There have been a few problems with PCA since Friday as far as I know it has all been fixed now.So not sure if that was your problem or not.

Zerogravity 18:55 24 Sep 2009

It might have been because the forum was experiencing problems, as now I can use the forum as usual, but it doesn't explain why system restore stopped working in normal mode.
I suppose there might be a thousand reasons for it, like corrupted files etc.....

rawprawn 21:29 08 Oct 2009

Safe Mode is always best for System restore, however to repair SR in XP Start> Run> type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. you will need your xP Disk. This will replace any missing or corruppt files.

Zerogravity 22:14 08 Oct 2009

Can I use an XP disc from another computer?
I don't think that an XP disc was provided with the NC10(at least I can't remember that an XP disc was provided with the netbook, but I have 2 genuine XP discs that came with 2 previous systems).

ronalddonald 06:52 09 Oct 2009

Try and and find out for experimental purposes.

Technically Microsoft will argue that the xp discs for the computer systems you have are only for those systems only.

I cant advocate or decide for you. it will have to be your decision alone to go down that path just told and its your decision to tell Microsoft when you register the product number by phone (dont) or by Internet

You will of course get other members who will say its wrong because mircsoftie like to argue that all computer must have their own xp disc. Its their rules of agrement

rawprawn 07:14 09 Oct 2009

It will work fine with another disk as long as it is the same version, and up to date (ie SP3 if you are running SP3)

Zerogravity 15:40 09 Oct 2009

No, the ones I've got are SP2.
I remember how I had to register my desktop version of XP.
I don't remember having had to register the version of XP that came with the netbook. Maybe it was done already by the manufacturer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?