System restore - not working

mickieboy 19:47 04 Dec 2006

Could someone help, when trying to sort the 'dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL (which of course is the windows explorer problem 7) with a diagnostic tool off the web my system crashed. When I started the computer all the text has converted to a strange looking font. I am also unable to log onto the internet. System restore will not work.
Please please help.

Mick

anskyber 19:55 04 Dec 2006

I'm sorry I cannot help you immediately on your main problem, someone will I am sure. Once it is fixed on your original problem....

BT and some NTL or Blueyonder broadband users have experienced error message like "SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or MotiveSB.exe for NTL or IST for Blueyonder) Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"

This relates to the BT ( NTL, Blueyonder) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB.

Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe. for NTL or IST\SmartBridge for Blueyonder)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

To disable a start up program click here
Or, if you have Spybot Search and Destroy use their start up control tool.

Technotiger 19:55 04 Dec 2006

Have you tried doing system restore from within Safe Mode - keep pressing F8 on starting pc.

mickieboy 20:03 04 Dec 2006

thank you Technotiger & anskyber I will try both ideas

Mick

mickieboy 11:16 17 Dec 2006

I now have a few more problems:- my computer crashed completely with the following problems
when I check it with Norton Systemwork and other system tools.

No internet connection
No devices showing in the Device Manager
All the text is changed to Americana (like text)
The Windows Start word has changed to a Kaufmann like text.
The volume is non-NTFS volume
Invalaid Active X/Com Entries
System restore not working
Cannot access a necessary file "msvcr80.dll"
Windows disk will not allow me to reload Windows
System information, can't collect information
The computer is very slow but the programmes do work

and it goes on, can any one help.

Regards
Mick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017