System Restore - not working

kevin300160 21:13 24 Mar 2004

I cannot set a restore point? I have Windows ME. When trying, I get the message "System Restore not able to create a restore point. Please restart computer & then run System restore again". If I do this, I get the same reply. I have checked space available for it and is set at Max 2156MB. I have purged the restore folder, so it should have deleted all previous restore points and files, yet it still wont allow me to make a Restore point. I get no other message(s) telling me what the actual problem is ?

woodchip 21:23 24 Mar 2004

Reinstall WinME over the top by re running WinME setup from the CD

swapper 21:25 24 Mar 2004

See if this helps?
click here
From a personal point of view I have never been able to get my Restore option to work, and I (with the help of others in this Forum) have tried very hard.
I gave up in the end :-((

Good luck anyway

kevin300160 21:41 24 Mar 2004

Thanks for replying. Im not all that experienced with computers. I have two CD's. One is a " System CD" which has Backup Drivers & Bootable Restoration CD and the other is an " Operating System Backup CD". On this disc,it says it has the software that was preinstalled on the hard drive & may be used for backup & recovery of the system. Silly question, but would this be the disc to use? What worries me though, is be reinstalling ME, would this erase everything I have on my computer, i.e. files, e-mails etc, or once the disc is running, would I get the option to just reinstall System Restore?

woodchip 21:44 24 Mar 2004

Yes you will lose all your work if you run a restore disc, you need to back these up to CD or some other media., before running the restore disc

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:50 24 Mar 2004

Billy boy may have the answer..........click here

G

kevin300160 21:51 24 Mar 2004

Thanks for the help, Woodchip & Swapper.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:56 24 Mar 2004

click here

click here

Download the patch (Q 290700)that cures the September 8th issue (Replaces smgr.dll with ver 4.90.0.3003). Reboot, but before System Restore really worked for me, I had to reset it:

System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable System Restore", Apply and immediately reboot. This will flush your restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then:

System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable System Restore", Apply and again immediately reboot. This should now automatically create a new checkpoint following the restart.

Adjust the space allocated to the restore folder, System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting.

G

kevin300160 21:58 24 Mar 2004

Thanks as well Gandalf. Very useful. Will try all of your suggestions.

woodchip 22:02 24 Mar 2004

The best system restore you can use id Drive Image, When your computer is working as it should you create a Image to CDR or CDRW or Separate Drive

kevin300160 23:01 24 Mar 2004

To all those that offered help & advice. I did as Gandalf advised and downloaded the patch, as that seemed the easiest one to try first. It would appear to have worked as when I click on System Restore & click set to a previous date, todays date is Highlighted. This never happened before. I will try and make a Restore point tomorrow and post the reply on here. Thank you all again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?