System Restore Message After Duff SR (XP Home)

Jester2K II 14:17 28 Nov 2003

One of my clients had a problem on Tuesday with the Internet on his NTL connection. He has attempted to use System restore to fix but multiple attempts have corrupted a few things (icons, Shortcuts etc) This has all been resolved now with one exception.

There is one account on the PC.

On boot up he gets the following message before XP Home starts loading the settings...

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format"

The desktop and account then loads normally....

Now i can guess that SR is trying to merge a REG file with the registry but is failing.

How can i sort this?

hector 911 14:31 28 Nov 2003

can`t you delete his user profile in user accounts and then make a new account, only a thought !

plus is the box ticked in power for system hibernate, XP uses this when it closes down to store info for quicker restarting

Jester2K II 15:07 28 Nov 2003

Well everything is fine except for this message so there no reason to really..

cycoze 15:27 28 Nov 2003

These two MS links may be of help click here;en-us;811151 and click here;en-us;Q318011 .

Jester2K II 15:30 28 Nov 2003

Cheers I'll bear the first one in mind in case theres no other solutions.

cycoze 15:33 28 Nov 2003

I hate it when the links go pear shape , go to MS click here and use the search facility (top left of page) and try these numbers 811151 and 318011 , and it should bring up a list of possible`s , the first being the most relevant

leo49 15:37 28 Nov 2003

Found this as a fix for a corrupt user profile.

"Try this: Go to the Start Menu > Run > Type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes).

It should then ask you whether the corrupt User Profile is "Local" or "Roaming". Yours will be local, so rename the profile, let WinXP rebuild it and follow the instructions. Reboot."

Can't vouch for it but it sounds logical.

Jester2K II 15:40 28 Nov 2003

The User Profile is fine. Everything works except for a few kanckered shortcuts.

Its the file SR is trying to merge into the registry thats corrupt...

leo49 15:44 28 Nov 2003

The profile may be fine but Windows obviously doesn't think so as it won't load it.

JIM 16:11 28 Nov 2003

I note you say everything works except k/shortcuts, can you access SR if needed?

"Inquisitive thought only at this time"

Jester2K II 16:15 28 Nov 2003

We can access SR but multiple SR attempts including two failed ones mean it not really an option at the moment.. Besides theres nothing to restore!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?