System restore malicious script

cpr 18:45 17 Feb 2003

When accessing System Restore settings in XP a Norton Alert states that there is a 'malicious script detected'. The object is Windows Script Host, the Activity is 'Run'. The alert states that 'the computer is halted and needs to do something about it'. The file is 'rstrui.exe' The recommendation is to 'stop this script' which I have done. Does anybody know what this indicates? A virus check (up to date) shows no viruses detected. If I try to run system restore will this 'exe' run and cause harm? Can anyone advise please?

VoG™ 18:46 17 Feb 2003

rstrui.exe IS System Restore (from memory).

powerless 18:49 17 Feb 2003
  VoG™ 18:50 17 Feb 2003

Yes it is c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

€dstow 18:51 17 Feb 2003

Have a look click here

If that link doesn't work it's knowledge base Q267511

€d

cpr 18:33 27 Feb 2003

Thanks to all who responded (VoG™,Powerless, and €dstow), apologies for not getting back sooner. I looked at all the options and went for the Microsoft Q267511 solution. It doesn't appear to work on XP! The alert is still there. I have therefore not tried to restore the system, I have just left things as they are at present. The reason for wishing to use it in the first place was because I was unable to uninstall a programme. I have now managed to do so . I am therefore going with the old maxims 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!' and 'A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!' Once again thanks to all. cpr.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017