System Restore Help!!!

Terrylr 20:18 09 Jan 2003
  Terrylr 20:18 09 Jan 2003

Please help!!

I have tried to do a system restore but now i get that it could not be completed because some files were missing or deleted and I cannot go any further!

any suggestions?!?!

howard60 20:39 09 Jan 2003

and for what reason are you trying to run system restore.

HasH 20:49 09 Jan 2003

i think system restore is very poor indeed, drive image and like programs are far better. i can never get correct results with system restore on windows xp

Terrylr 21:18 09 Jan 2003

well I had a problem and though hey i'll do a restore.....

then got this error when booting...

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt windows_root\system32\hal.dll .. please reinstall a copy of the file"

I have a Sony Vaio PC. I can't even get to the DOS prompt to even copy it!

Please please any info you could give would be great!

VoG™ 21:31 09 Jan 2003
  VoG™ 21:32 09 Jan 2003

Duplicate click here

Terrylr 21:37 09 Jan 2003

VoG - many thanks for that link

I have however already tried the mentioned fixes.

I cannot seem to boot from the Windpws XP CD... cannot get to the command prompt and certainly cannot load windows.

I have Sony Vaio restore disks but they restore the whole system and i will loose all my data

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!

hehe

VoG™ 21:58 09 Jan 2003

You need to get into the BIOS and change the boot order to CD drive first.

To get into the BIOS you need to press a key or a combination of keys before the operating system begins to load. Some common keys are ESC, F1, F2, F10, Ctrl-Del or Del. You need to check the computer documentation to find out how to gain access to the computer Setup (BIOS).

You should then be able to use Method 2 or Method 3.

Terrylr 22:08 09 Jan 2003

Thanx VoG

I had though of trying that but in the BIOS there appears no way of changing the boot sequence. All that appears it the primary and secondary 'something'

I have looked throughout all of the menu's and there appears to be no way of altering the boot sequence.... this is a nightmare... i'm totally stuck :(

howard60 22:16 09 Jan 2003

it is usually the second screen which has boot sequence. up and down arrows move you around the screen and then page up/page down change what is displayed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?