System Restore - Have I Found Out Why

€dstowe 15:37 23 Feb 2007

It Doesn't Work?

For a long time I've poured scorn on system Restore in XP (and previously in Me) as being unreliable and unable to keep restore points for more than a day if at all.

It seemed to work on some of my machines and not others so I gave up using it completely.

Now, all of my machines have multiple hard drives installed and checking various parts of the innards of one of them last week, I found that System Restore was monitoring all four drives. Three of the drives were data storage only (and fully backed up externally) so I thought I would turn off System Restore on those drives and just keep it on the "C" drive.

Checking just now, I see that there are full and complete System Restore points for the "C" drive for the whole week under this new regime.

If this applies to you, change the System Restore settings by going to the System Restore page in Help & Support, click on System Restore Settings, highlight the drive that you want to turn off the monitoring, click on Settings and turn off the monitoring. (As usual it takes far more to explain things than do them.)

leo49 15:54 23 Feb 2007

Perhaps you should have a look at this - it might also be news to you! :o)

click here

leo49 15:55 23 Feb 2007

Excellent clip cpourtesy of dagbladet.

Graham. 16:06 23 Feb 2007

Thanks for that. I've now turned of System Restore on my data hard drive.

muddypaws 16:31 23 Feb 2007

Cheers.

cocteau48 16:40 23 Feb 2007

Thanks leo49
Have bookmarked the brilliant clip and will pass it on.

leo49 17:06 23 Feb 2007

Thanks to dagbladet who posted in Speaker's Corner.

Input Overload 18:32 23 Feb 2007

I haven’t had system restore running for two years now, I think it's a waste of disc space. I rely on regular disc images/backups & an external drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?