System restore files

tell 02:33 01 Apr 2007

Any one out there know where I might be able to find my system restore files, or even my program files, favourites even, every thing from my start up list has done a bunk, reason unknown. are the sys restore files backed anywhere that I may find them. Running xp pro. sys restore prog just gives me 'no restore points'

Giant68 02:37 01 Apr 2007

Mornin', you're up late, or early!

Have you got System Restore active for your hardrives? If you bring up your system properties you should have a tab for System Restore, this will indicate whether Sys Restore is active. If not then you have no restore points.
Your favourites will be stored in C:/documents and settings/username along with your start menu items.

Giant68

tell 02:42 01 Apr 2007

All the files you mention are now empty folders, sys restore is and always has been active, I just checked a couple of folders on my desk top they too are empty, @ goes crazy and scratches head cause all shortcuts have vanished as well.

Giant68 02:47 01 Apr 2007

Might be best to reinstall an antivirus package and run a scan.

Are the program folders and files still on the harddrive or is it just the shortcuts that have gone?

Giant68

Diversion 02:47 01 Apr 2007

This site may help click here the second item down.

Diversion 02:56 01 Apr 2007

Sorry that leads to a dead link I'll have to check my url's. Try [sfc /scannow] it fixes some problems but not all. I'll run a check on my url's a see if that link is re-directed, it will take about 10 minutes as I've got over 1500 url's in my favourites.

Diversion 03:08 01 Apr 2007

click here I found this one I don't know if it works though.

tell 03:56 01 Apr 2007

Hi guys all my shortcuts have gone missing, thats why I was hoping to find a hidden backup of sys restore. all my progs are still on h/drv and still work, its just a right royal pain having to trawl through the prog files then find the correct icon to start the prog I want. thanks for the help offered so far.

Diversion 04:08 01 Apr 2007

Mine used to do that I found it to be window washer, when it was cleaning my bin out it also took all my icons off the desktop. I set now to clean everything else and empty my bin manually.

tell 04:20 01 Apr 2007

Thanks to Diversion few seconds after using that last link I was able to do a sys restore and all things are back in place. so once again thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?