System Restore failure

West of Yore 14:18 26 Mar 2010

I have tried on a number of occasions to restore my XP system but have always received the message "CANNOT RESTORE TO THAT RESTORE POINT - PLEASE SELECT A DIFFERENT POINT - YOUR SYSTEM HAS NOT BEEN RESTORED" has any one got any useful advice?

jack 14:25 26 Mar 2010

and make new restore pointy. do this on a regular basis ans especially before messing the the system or program files.
It seems one has to effectively make a restore point or the system will if you mess with the system but others - that remain in light type are not 'Active'

birdface 14:27 26 Mar 2010

Try using system restore in safe mode see if it works Ok on there.

Sea Urchin 14:29 26 Mar 2010

It's not uncommon for System Restore to fail - particularly on XP. I always run system restore in safe mode, and it works every time. Tap F8 whilst booting to get into safe mode.

ame 14:30 26 Mar 2010

Does System Restore allow you to set restore points manually? If so, and there are a set of restore points (dates in bold and select from list adjacent)already there, then try starting in Safe Mode - press F8 as pc is starting up - and select System Restore option when prompted.

ame 14:31 26 Mar 2010

Must type quicker!!

West of Yore 15:42 26 Mar 2010

Thanks one & all "safe mode" solved the problem

john 52 16:39 26 Mar 2010

I had a similar problem and it was Zone alarm that was causing the problem !!I am using XP
It would restore in safe mode but not otherwise .
I have downloaded the free Pc tools firewall and removed Zone alarm on a members recommendation and now it is back to normal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone