System Restore failure

West of Yore 14:18 26 Mar 2010

I have tried on a number of occasions to restore my XP system but have always received the message "CANNOT RESTORE TO THAT RESTORE POINT - PLEASE SELECT A DIFFERENT POINT - YOUR SYSTEM HAS NOT BEEN RESTORED" has any one got any useful advice?

jack 14:25 26 Mar 2010

and make new restore pointy. do this on a regular basis ans especially before messing the the system or program files.
It seems one has to effectively make a restore point or the system will if you mess with the system but others - that remain in light type are not 'Active'

birdface 14:27 26 Mar 2010

Try using system restore in safe mode see if it works Ok on there.

Sea Urchin 14:29 26 Mar 2010

It's not uncommon for System Restore to fail - particularly on XP. I always run system restore in safe mode, and it works every time. Tap F8 whilst booting to get into safe mode.

ame 14:30 26 Mar 2010

Does System Restore allow you to set restore points manually? If so, and there are a set of restore points (dates in bold and select from list adjacent)already there, then try starting in Safe Mode - press F8 as pc is starting up - and select System Restore option when prompted.

ame 14:31 26 Mar 2010

Must type quicker!!

West of Yore 15:42 26 Mar 2010

Thanks one & all "safe mode" solved the problem

john 52 16:39 26 Mar 2010

I had a similar problem and it was Zone alarm that was causing the problem !!I am using XP
It would restore in safe mode but not otherwise .
I have downloaded the free Pc tools firewall and removed Zone alarm on a members recommendation and now it is back to normal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017