System Restore Can't

Yimbo 17:00 29 Dec 2009

No matter which date I select, the message is displayed "Your computer cannot be restored to this point" I'm using XP home with all the Service Packs, up-dates etc installed! I note also that over the last few days web pages are taking much longer to display, downloads take forever, and my computer generally is very much slower - hence me trying System Restore! Any advice would be welcome!

Technotiger 17:02 29 Dec 2009

Are you sure that the dates you are clicking on are shown in Bold print - the other dates are not restore points.

Yimbo 17:04 29 Dec 2009

Yes, they are!

Sea Urchin 17:05 29 Dec 2009

Try running it in safe mode - keep tapping F8 while booting and then select safe mode from the menu that eventually appears.

Yimbo 17:45 29 Dec 2009

Did what you suggested, Sea Urchin, and Sys Res worked in Safe Mode! It has made a big difference to Web Page speed - though for some reason, I took me ages to get through again to PCA site! Other pages opened OK but not PCA! Still, all in all, a big improvement! Many thanks!

Technotiger 17:49 29 Dec 2009

PCA site has been having slow-down problems today - so you are not the only one experiencing this.

Sea Urchin 17:56 29 Dec 2009

Glad that worked for you - I can echo what Technotiger is saying about the PCA site - it's extremely sticky today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone