System restor

Madrat 17:18 13 Sep 2007

Every time I try a system restor I get the message that my system could not be restored to the chosen date. I have tried several date but its the same every time. Whats causing this?

Technotiger 17:22 13 Sep 2007

Are you choosing dates which are shown in Bold print, dates not shown in Bold print will give the response that you are getting.

Graham. 17:22 13 Sep 2007

Try it in Safe Mode.

Madrat 17:26 13 Sep 2007

I am choosing the dates in bold. It starts restor and reboots PC then comes up with message. never done it befor.

Technotiger 17:29 13 Sep 2007

It is possible that one of your Restore points has become corrupt, in which case you'll need to disable System Restore. This will delete all existing Restore points and then re-enable it. To do so, right-click My Computer on the Start menu or desktop and choose Properties -> System Restore tab. Tick the 'Turn off System Restore on all drives’ and click Apply - you'll be told that all existing Restore points will be deleted, so click Yes, at which point the Restore points will be removed. Now remove the tick and click Apply again to re-enable it.
However,if you are desperate to restore,you can try this 1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt. 2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\...
4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. Good luck ( if you don,t know, this is how to find command prompt)

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and click Command Prompt.

The above is from another Forum, so I am not claiming any credit if this works, as I believe it should. Anyway, more or less the same as Graham's suggestion.

mfletch 18:01 13 Sep 2007

Hi Have you using Norton security if yes?

You have to turn it off then do a system restore,

Dont forget to turn it back on again,

click here

mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?