System profile? Message on start-up. Advice please

AngeTheHippy 10:35 24 Apr 2008

Morning Chaps,
For the past few weeks (I re-instaled XP os just prior to Christmas)this Lappy has taken AGES to start up. Whereas is used to take probably no more than 60-80 seconds, it can now take anything up to 3 MINUTES to load. This morning, I got a screen which didn't stay for long, I tried to read it all but it said something like: If you've been having trouble starting your PC lately try using another SYSTEM PROFILE, as detailed below. Then the only highlighted txt was:

Profile 1

Before I had chance to read it's entirety, it started to load as usual. I defragged last week. The Lappy is:

XP Home Edition v.2002 SP2/mobile Athlon XP-M 2000+ / 1.66 GHz, 496MB RAM.

The HDD is just under half full. My AVG is fuly up to date, and the daily scan is showing no Virus. Anyone know what's the problem with this please - apart from being an old Lappy??

Thanks loads,

AngeTheHippy
xx

Ditch999 14:44 24 Apr 2008

Have you tried doing a system restore to a point prior to it started acting up?

AngeTheHippy 16:20 24 Apr 2008

thanks. I've done sys restores 2 or 3 times since it's been taking such a long time to start up. Nothing changed though...

A

Ditch999 16:42 24 Apr 2008

Does it boot OK in Safe Mode?

AngeTheHippy 17:05 24 Apr 2008

it does. I **think** what this sys profile stuff means, is when ya first turn on PC it goes through procedure, reading certain files in a certain order, but is having trouble doing this. Can someone tell me if I'm wrong please?

A

Ditch999 17:39 24 Apr 2008

Try using System File checker. Go to Start > Run, and type cmd in the Open box, then click OK to open a command prompt. Here you can using the command sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc). It may ask you to supply the installation CD.

AngeTheHippy 16:10 25 Apr 2008

I've done just as you suggested - and yes, it DID ask me to put Instalation CD in, which I did. It then proceeded to check dll files and small window asking to retry and other choices, I clicked retry. This happened about 10 times in total. Anyway, start up today took all of 45 SECONDS - a vast improvement on 3 minutes plus! I'll remember this for any future use Ditch999, and I thank you for this help.

AngeTheHippy
xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?