System no longer recognises CD Recorder

Scoville 18:04 02 Jan 2003
  Scoville 18:04 02 Jan 2003

After re-installing W98 v2, my system no longer recognises my CD Writer as a Recorder. It sees the drive as a CD ROM but when I start up WinOnCD 3.8, I get the message "Recording Engine Error! Function C2RE_GetAvailRecorder returns Code 0000020f error when accessing the Registry" This in turn leads to a warning "Loading recorder interface failed" and my CD Writer is not offered as a device.
I have removed and re-installed the drive and updated the ASPI software but to no effect. Plextor Tech help couldn't help. Clearly I have made a mistake when trying to force W98 to re-install but I don't know where to go next. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

spikeychris 18:16 02 Jan 2003

Looks like an issue with WINonCD

click here its Win2K but have a look.

Chris

Scoville 01:24 03 Jan 2003

Thnx M8, re-installing the WinOnCD software appears to have fixed the problem. I must have orphaned a Registry entry somewhere along the line.

Scoville 21:40 03 Jan 2003

Oops, I spoke too soon! After removing WinOnCD I tried other CD writing software and NONE of them see a Recorder. All they see is a CD-ROM. There must be a method whereby Win98 can tell whether a CD is a Recorder or just Player and in my case it thinks my Plextor has become player. Any thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?