System Mechanic Pro

Gwynedd 11:59 05 Mar 2011

Upgraded to System Mechanic Pro from System Mechanic 10. Lots of problems, including crashes, after installation, and uninstallling Avast anti-virus and Ad-aware. Eventually sorted out problems, but now cannot initiate full anti-virus scan, which is asked for, and updates window disappears as soon as installation starts although downloads complete perfectly. Thinking of uninstalling/reinstalling it, but nervous after first installation problems. Any suggestion.

northumbria61 12:13 05 Mar 2011

"Upgraded to System Mechanic Pro from System Mechanic 10"

Did you remove/uninstall the previous version before "upgrading"? I think it would be best to completely uninstall and then reinstall the new version. Use Revo Uninstaller to make sure it is all completely removed before proceeding.

birdface 12:30 05 Mar 2011

Some fairly poor reviews about it here.

click here

birdface 12:32 05 Mar 2011

Looks even worse when checking all of the reviews.

click here

northumbria61 12:46 05 Mar 2011

Gwynedd - I have to agree with buteman comments.

It is a few years since I used System Mechanic. My recollection of it was that it was okay for a while but then it seemed to cause the problems it was designed to eliminate - which was to make the PC run smoother.

However I can't comment on the more "up-to-date" versions.

sunnystaines 13:26 05 Mar 2011

if you want a reliable reg cleaner two good free ones are

winaso

click here

and

Eusing

click here

Gwynedd 18:14 27 Mar 2011

Thanks guys for all your good advice. Have now uninstalled SM, and PC works perfectly now. Obviously a major conflict between SM Pro's security package and Windows caused all the problems. Have now reinstalled AdAware, and would like to reinstall Avast as well, Will they conflict, and do I need both. Next problem is getting my cash back from Iolo.

onthelimit1 18:46 27 Mar 2011

I'd just go for MSE and Superantispyware. Neither cause the slowing down of PC's that I've found some other programmes do.

VoG II 18:55 27 Mar 2011

I've not used that but I do use Registry Mechanic. I'm forming the view that all of these programs are a complete waste of money and do more harm than good. Yesterday (because hyperlinks no longer worked) I did a 'roll back' using Norton Ghost to before I installed W7 SP1, IE9 and FF 4 and all is good. I'm planning to stick with that as long as things do not go pear shaped.

Perhaps I really am, now, a Very Old G*t.

amonra 19:17 27 Mar 2011

The old adage still applies, if it aint broke, dont fix it !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?