System Mechanic 4 Pro

woofwoofbark 20:28 27 May 2004

Hi there .. Ive been running the options on System Mechanic 4 and found its a great tool too have .. but as a complete novice I dont think Im using it to the best of its ability ... anyway , theres something I would like some advise for ... I ran the program "find duplicate files" and to say theres a billion would be a little exaggeration haha , but there are so many ... is there an option that allows me to delete a duplicate and keep the original or what should/can I do ...

Hopefully someone with a better comp brain than me (which simply is anyone haha) could recommend to me what action to take

cheers

geo

Cook2 20:31 27 May 2004

Don't delete duplicate files. Better safe than sorry.

woofwoofbark 20:33 27 May 2004

true enough ... but i think these files are taking up a lot of disc space ... grrr

User-312386 20:34 27 May 2004

the only duplicate files that you should delete are the ones that You have created.

Normally there are duplicates in Temp files etc etc. However, Windows normally discards them once in a while.

I would leave well alone if you do not know what you are doing.

User-312386 20:38 27 May 2004

double click my computer, right click C drive and select properties, now click on disk cleanup

that will get rid of loads of files that are longer needed

woofwoofbark 20:38 27 May 2004

"I would leave well alone if you do not know what you are doing." i once had that advice about girls but look where that has gotten me now .... sheesh , i couldnt resist them haha

seriously ... I'll leave the files well alone ...

cheers guys

Fruit Bat 20:43 27 May 2004

Also use SM4 and have lots of duplicate files mostly dll, exe, vb, txt, etc these will be in 2 or 3 different folders and are relevant for the particular program installed in those folders so do not delete under any circumstances or you will find some of you programs cease to work.

If you have doc files or picture files doubled up check they are the same by clicking on before deleting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?