System info and virtual memory in Win xp.

dagwoood 14:47 07 May 2004

Could anyone shed any light on this please.

If I set my page file to disabled in advanced performance options and reboot, when I go into the system information app. it still shows that I have a page file(the size is 90% of my RAM, located at C:\pagefile.sys)and when I open task manager it shows that I'm still making use of a page file. If I go back to advanced performance options it shows my page file size as 0mb.

I've even gone into regedit and disabled the exe.pagefile, but I still show the same results as above.

Cheers, dagwoood.

ste_bla 14:54 07 May 2004

I'm not sure if this helps but you have to make sure you push SET button.. i doubt it will help as its sorta obvious..

QuickHare 14:57 07 May 2004

I've noticed this on my own Windows XP and my older Windows 95 setups.

On Windows 95, it shows as though the virtual memory is not set, but in reality it is.

I don't know if it would help, but try booting into safe mode (Press F8 during startup and select Safe Mode) and deleting C:\pagefile.sys. Restart normally and see if the problem still exists. It probably won't do a thing, but there's always hope.

I don't know why it happens on my computer. I have 512Mb RAM and only 200Mb (ish) is ever in use during startup. Sometimes, if many programs load at startup, then memory can eat away until the pagefile is needed, but it is never deleted. This can happen even if the programs using this memory quit shortly after startup.

bertiecharlie 15:44 07 May 2004

dagwoood. crx1600 may have the answer in that it doe say the minimum allowed is 2mb. Perhaps, try setting it to that rather than trying to disable it.

bertiecharlie 15:53 07 May 2004

Thought further. You cannot disable virtual memory altogether in XP. The disable option that you are using is to disable virtual memory on a particular drive only. ie. if you have two hard drives you could disable it on one but you would have to set the other at 2mb minimum.

dagwoood 23:04 07 May 2004

Thanks for the replies guys.

Crx1600, how you doin'? Thanks for that link, that's cleared up why even if elect to disable the page file, my system will create one anyway and even cause a decrease in performance. Cheers mate.

Bertiecharlie, hello again.(Seems like deja vue).
I have only the single h/d but as per crx1600's link, xp will create a page file whatever you do. I had already tried to set the page file to a minimum size of 2mb and a max size of 2mb but on rebooting my system I had one of the infamous balloon messages saying my page size was too small and it had been sized correctly. It had been set at 1.5 times my RAM(i.e.1151mb).

I think I'll set it at a static size of 300mb and see how I get on. I've been keeping an eye on the page file history usage in task manager and its never got above 150mb so 300mb will give me some leeway. As my systems already creating a page file I dont think I'll run into any problems(famous last words!!!). A big thanks for your continued support.

Cheers everyone, dagwoood.

dagwoood 04:46 08 May 2004

Thanks for taking the time to find that link for me. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get to the bottom of this(as you've probably seen from my other thread).

I'd searched on google myself but couldn't find anything relating to my query. Found loads of advice on the best way to configure the paging file(most of it's contradictory)but nothing on how xp, by default, creates a paging file whether you want one or not.

Glad to hear you doing well and thanks again.

dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires