System Idle Process

penholder 19:13 17 Jul 2008

In Task Manager System Idle Process shows 48 in the column headed CPU. What does this mean?
CPU indicates 53%

MAT ALAN 19:22 17 Jul 2008

basically means you have a lot of progs running at once...
System Idle Process normally (at idle) runs above 90%

johndrew 19:23 17 Jul 2008

The `System Idle Process` is exactly what it says - the amount of CPU not in use. I think for most people, unless there is something running this will show 99%, the fact your is showing 48% shows something is running and the CPU usage proves it.Make sure the `Show processes from all users` is checked and scroll down the list to find what is using the CPU.

penholder 20:52 17 Jul 2008

There are 68 processes listed and the show processes from all users is ticked. Is it those files using lots of memory usage that are the main culprits?

johndrew 09:55 18 Jul 2008

There is a difference between CPU and memory usage; you started by referring to CPU so I presume you mean this still.

The processes listed are those running on your PC. If you click the CPU box at the head of the column it will list them by those with the highest CPU usage downward (click again and it reverses this). You can do the same for memory or any of the other columns to give alphabetical order/user.

Technotiger 11:41 18 Jul 2008

As stated, it is not the Memory you should be looking at, but the CPU Percentages - normally the Percentages are mostly 0% but something like Adobe updater can use very much more, the only Percentage which normally shows at about 94%-99% is System Idle Process which is good.

Any other process using 50% or more should be investigated.

birdface 13:22 18 Jul 2008

Whatever is using up your CPU Google it and it will tell you if it is anything to worry about.If still not sure post it on here for us to have a look at.It may be a scan running or one of your programs up-dating.

daba 19:13 18 Jul 2008

I don't know the answer myself, but I recall reading something about Dual-Core processors screwing up Task Manager ??? It was a while ago and I can't remember the details - anyone else know ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie