System icons greyed out

FatboySlim71 08:07 20 Jun 2008

I have Vista Ultimate.

Occasionally when I boot up, I do not have the Volume and Network system icons shown in the Notification area of the taskbar.

When the above happens and I right click the taskbar/properties/notification area tab, the Network and Volume boxes are greyed out so I am unable to tick them to show the mentioned icons.

I was wondering is there a way of getting them shown by using some other method, basically so I could for want of a better word overide the greyed out boxes and basically get them shown again.

Any help would be much appreciated. : )

BurrWalnut 14:56 20 Jun 2008

It’s a known problem. Try these:

1. Sometimes logging off and back on or restarting the computer clears the problem.

2. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify. In the right-pane there are two entries: IconStreams and PastIconsStream, right-click and delete them, then restart the computer.

Create a system restore point before deleting the registry keys in case anything goes wrong.

FatboySlim71 19:52 20 Jun 2008

BurrWalnut

Thanks for the help.

Restarting usually works, but the problem is very random.

I was basically wondering if there is a file for example on the computer that I could run for as and when the icons were not shown, and basically get the icons to reappear.

FatboySlim71 08:32 21 Jun 2008

bump

FatboySlim71 22:21 21 Jun 2008

bump

rdave13 22:40 21 Jun 2008

Try Control Panel--Classic view-- Scroll down to 'taskbar and start menu'-- notification area tab-- tick all the boxes (un-tick and re-tick if you have to) so you can click on apply then ok.

FatboySlim71 23:11 21 Jun 2008

Thanks rdave13, I'll give your suggestion a try the next time I have the problem. Thanks again its much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?