"System" hogging 50% of my resources!!

nelftm 22:33 22 May 2007

After a reboot my PC runs fine for a while (anywhere between 30mins to 3hrs). Then I'll notice that the fan is running at full pelt constantly.

Everytime this happens, the same couple of things occur:
1) When I click on 'My Computer' I get a blank window with the animated torch icon, searching but never finding anything to display.

2) When I run Task Manager, the CPU resource is divided 50% 'System Idle Process' and 50% 'System'

There does not seem to be a particular program or event that triggers this. Even tonight, it was working fine while I was browsing - then I left the PC on and watched TV for half an hour, and when I returned to it, there it was again!

PC is:
Higrade Xperian P4 3.06GHz (with HT)
1GB Ram
Windows Xp Media Center 2002 Edition

birdface 00:01 23 May 2007

Just to be in the safe side,Have you ran your Anti=Virus and Spyware programs, There is also a Microsoft up-date to be downloaded that may help.

birdface 00:06 23 May 2007

What System product is it that is using the 50% If its svchost.exe stop your automatic up-dates from Microsoft,And download them manually.you may have to reboot computer after turning off automatic updates.

nelftm 00:49 23 May 2007

It just shows up in Task Manager as 'Image Name - System' and 'User Name - System' with a PID of 4 (if that means anything!)

There is no specific filename listed.

birdface 06:18 23 May 2007

Hi Googled it. click here hope you can find something that may help,Or wait for someone with a bit more knowledge of your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone