System Hi-Jack in Windows XP

Huge Dave 16:46 07 Jan 2005

I use Windows XP Pro SP-1 with all the available Microsoft security updates installed (Not SP-2 yet). I have Norton Anti-Virus 2003 with the latest virus definitions and my internet connection is via a WEP protected wireless ADSL router with Firewall enabled. Since my son brought a pirate looking disk home from school and tried in vain to install Marine Aquarium 2 screen saver, it looks like my PC has a mind of its own. A full sytem virus scan finds no viruses and Spybot's latest version finds no spyware, however my network connection status window shows a constant flow of data in both directions even though I am not connected to the internet. Windows Task Manager shows no applications running but a huge list of processes are present. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this unrequired data transfer? Also does anyone know where I can find a list of genuine processes so that I can stop any that may be responsible for the hi-jacking. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

VoG II 16:50 07 Jan 2005

Try running AntiSpyware click here Ad-aware click here CWShredder click hereclick here

JIM 17:10 07 Jan 2005

Huge Dave,would run programs suggested by VoG™, or one or two more at least than you may have.May/will add few more items to process list but at least there for protection.If still having problems after runnning spyware programs etc you may have to resort to HijackThis to produce a log incase of deeper problems.

How To: Determine what Services are running in WinXP

click here

SP1a? An "*" (asterisk) indicates changes from Service Pack 1a to Service Pack 2.

click here

Old Shep 17:16 07 Jan 2005

Or here click here

Huge Dave 17:57 07 Jan 2005

Thanks for your help so far, I will try running all of the anti-spyware software suggested. Any views on which is the better one? I have already used Spybot which found nothing.

VoG II 18:03 07 Jan 2005

They each look for and find different things.

I would start with AntiSpyware which seems to find most spyware.

Then a² which includes a very good trojan scanner.

JIM 18:12 07 Jan 2005

AntiSpyware is beta and a number of us are running it as it has good protential with pedigree.Setup as you want to but ignore sight errors of poss dates, and upgrade info on definitions, till next month.

CWShredder, one off run, when in trouble normaly used after running all other programs listed in links.(recommended)Including Spybot S&D.

JIM 18:13 07 Jan 2005

Sorry for Dup etc. was typing away not looking:)

Jackcoms 20:44 07 Jan 2005

Huge Dave

"Since my son brought a pirate looking disk home from school".

Need I say anymore?

Grouse ® 22:06 07 Jan 2005

try click here

This was Giant software, since taken over by Microsoft.........it says Beta, but this software has been sold by Giant for a while.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?