"System has recovered from Serious Error" message

danielgent 12:23 21 Dec 2009

Hi there,

I'm looking at a laptop for someone. they dropped it round saying it had a BSOD of:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0X0000000A

(very cleverly they took a picture of it!). Its a Toshiba Tecra A2, couple of years old. I've left it on for days and not managed to get the BSOD but theres a popup message sometimes on reboot.
"system has recovered from serious error"
BCCode: 1000000a (can link a picture of this if needed)
When I follow the send error report button it links me to a page saying theres a problem with the drivers for the wifi card Intel Wireless 2200BG. Followed the link through and downloaded some new ones but the popup still happened. Other day on almost every reboot and power up the message came up. nothing happened but had to drag it to the side of the screen.

Now today can't get the message to popup, but i dont really want to give it back to the guy in case the same thing happens when he gets it back! Might mean a BSOD might happen in the future.

Any ideas? Should I be using some special tool to uninstall the drivers? Gonna keep rebooting it and powering it down to see if I can get the popup to happen again.

Much thanks,
Dan Gent

Seth Haniel 13:15 21 Dec 2009

from Here click here

and look at highlighted files left in stack

could just be a program not unloading on shutdown

danielgent 13:30 21 Dec 2009

ah i've read about bluescreenview in micromart. I'll install it now and load it up.

thanks,
dan gent

danielgent 13:42 21 Dec 2009

that software is brilliant! yes it highlights the intel wireless driver, how can I tell whats going wrong with it?

Seth Haniel 16:26 21 Dec 2009

or re-install of the driver

User-1229748 16:34 21 Dec 2009

look in device manager to see what drivers you have then see if this gives any newer ones click here if not go to the pc manufacturers downloads page and see what drivers are there.it may be that the older drivers may work better

danielgent 19:03 21 Dec 2009

when i followed through the "send error report" prompt it pointed me to the intel website where I had to navigate through to find the latest drivers.

the main problem is that I can't get the BSOD to happen again but everytime after I reboot I get the "serious problem" box. I've tried the old trick of turning off the system cache (therefore deleting the page file) then reenabling it but it still pops up.
My next step is to disable the wireless card in the BIOS (or even take it out!) and then see whether I still get the popup messages.

thanks for the replys. very helpful seth, that bluescreenview will be a useful tool for me thanks!
smackheadz - i'll try removing the card and drivers and then reinstalling again from that link, see what I can find.

I'll post back what I find.

Thanks again,
Dan Gent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone