System has reached maximum size allowed

geoff47 14:15 07 Apr 2012

I am getting a warning that "The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry" when I boot up. Everything is slow for a while then it appears to speed up. I did a repair installation using my XP Professional CD, but the first thing that showed on boot was that same warning.

Any ideas ? I have searched but the information is confusing, even Microsoft doesn't appear to know the solution.

KRONOS the First 14:23 07 Apr 2012

The top one perhaps.Click here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 07 Apr 2012

There is no maximum registry size setting for XP VISTA or W7.

If you are running Windows XP, and get a error message about the registry exceeding its allowed size, you will need to look at other programs / drivers:

The primary culprit is usually Nvidia drivers.

If you have a Nvidia graphics card, or a motherboard with a Nvidia chip-set, you have Nvidia drivers installed.

You should go to the Nvidia website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card or motherboard. Then, use “Add/Remove Programs” to uninstall your current drivers. After uninstalling, reboot your computer and proceed to install your newly downloaded drivers.

geoff47 19:07 07 Apr 2012

Since the repair installation I have been I have been updating, getting service packs etc. etc. There is yet another update going on as I write this. I don't think I have any Nvidia on my PC, I have looked via Everest, and Belarc.

Nothing seems to have improved with the repair installation and the updates.

rdave13 19:17 07 Apr 2012

Run Chkdsk, link. Run chkdsk volume:/r Might be a symptom of a hard drive going bad even though nothing to do with the registry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 07 Apr 2012

USe Ccleaner to clean the registry (very safe)

geoff47 21:25 07 Apr 2012

I am away from that PC right now, but I have a nasty feeling it might be the Hard Drive. I was advised a little while ago about another problem it could be the HD on it's way out.

@ Fruit Bat I actually run Ccleaner regularly, thats why I think it could be the HD........oh bugger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone