System Hangs on Shut down and Check disk wont run

Frosty120 00:02 10 Nov 2004

Hi I'm running Windows XP. The other week when I shut down my computer, it hung on the screen that says its saving your settings and shutting down. Since then this has happened most of the times when I shut down/restart the computer, though not everytime.
The computer hangs for a long time and doesnt seem to be doing anything, though the hd led does flash occasionally.
I tried to run the disk Checker by right clicking the hard drive, clicking the tools tab and clicking 'check now' under error checking.
However, the bar doesn't even begin to move, even after some time, and the option to cancel is removed. I can't close the window and have to restart.
I don't remember installing anything before the problem however I did install things after the problem, so a system restore could be messy.
I don't know what to do.
Is there a Windows problem anyones heard of that could cause this?
I have an MSI K7N2 Delta Mainboard withe NVIDA nForce 2 Ultra 400 Chipset. It runs an Athlon XP 3000+ processor with the Barton Core.
Does anyone know of any issues with this mainboard?
I don't know what to do, but it's really worrying me. I've had the computer a year and have loads of files, I don't want to have to reformat.
I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
Frosty

Djohn 00:11 10 Nov 2004

Is it hanging at "Saving your settings" or at "Shutting down" message? They are both separate messages and appear one at a time.

hugh-265156 00:20 10 Nov 2004

if clear page file on shutdown is enabled it can slow down the shutdown process. click here but change the value to 0 instead of 1. i find this makes it a lot faster.

ps. running a disk check in windows can take forever if you have lots of programs open or it keeps getting interupted, try ticking both boxes in 'tools/error checking' and restart.

hugh-265156 00:24 10 Nov 2004

ps. you say 'I've had the computer a year and have loads of files'

try uninstalling anything you dont use, run a disk cleanup or better still run this as it does a better job click here (standard settings) then run disk check as above and defrag the hard drive if it hasnt been done for a while.

Frosty120 01:07 11 Nov 2004

it was the 'shutting down' message.
I ran a defrag and tried scan disk with only the top check box checked instead of both as I had been doing.
Scan disk ran and I haven't had any problems since!
Thanks guys.
This forum's great! Everyone here is so helpful and friendly! Thanks!
Frosty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone