System hangs on Checking NVRAM...

JimmE 22:25 05 Aug 2004

Firstly, can anyone view this thread (click here) or this one (click here) as they may answer my question but I can't read them - I just get returned to the main page.

Two weeks ago a friend asked me to have a look at their computer as he couldn't get on the Internet - he works from home as a freelance photographer and journalist and needed to email some work in as he was leaving for 2 week holiday the next morning.

I came round, modem was not showing as existing, he said that the power had tripped earlier that day whilst his daughter was on the internet, when he turned power back on, it tripped again after 5 minutes, then was OK.

The PC did not even acknowledge that there was a modem connected (device manager and modem settings) so I assumed a Power Surge as a spare internal modem I had works fine and his modem doesn't work in my PC. Problem solved.

Two weeks later, he comes back from holiday and tries to turn computer on but nothing. completly dead. During holdiday has had whole kitchedn refitted so obviously power has been on and off throughout this - computer was switched off but plugged in. I assume dead PSU, replace with mine and PC powers up.

The POST screen displays, and the Processor (AMD Duron 950MHz) credidentials are displayed. Then the message "Checking NVRAM..." is displayed and this is where the computer hangs.

Googling for this problem shows me results from people who are experiencing this after changing / adding / removing hardware. OK fair enough I changed the PSU but this is not a 'data' device such as RAM, Graphics card, CPU etc.

The various sites also suggest it could be related to problems with everything from and including the CMOS battery to the hard drive, graphics card, processor, motherboard or RAM which is faulty. None of these components have even been touched since the PC was last working (the night I replaced the modedm) as it was fine after this, I did numerous restarts to test the PC was fine.

Obviously, as a freelance journalist, his computer is essential so I need to ort something out quickly. What do you think is the most likely culprit? I would be most inclined to replace the mobo as I am guessing it and / or the BIOS chip have been fried by the possibility of power surges. I cannot enter the BIOS settings screen as the option for this comes AFTER the NVRAM check - this is why I am guesing the problem lies there.

Any advice please? As I said at the top of this (ridiculously long) post I tried searching the forum here but can't open most of the posts - search for NVRAM to get the same page as me and try yourself.

Thanks in advance,

James.

woodchip 22:43 05 Aug 2004

Try this take out the motherboard battery, then put a screwdriver across the terminals to run down capacitors. refit battery and try getting into BIOS to reset and auto configure drives the CMOS setting will have to be gone over again to get it back just as it was before, for optimum results.

GaT7 22:48 05 Aug 2004

You may be right in thinking the problem lies in the BIOS. Once you can get into the BIOS, try enabling "Quick Boot Test" (or similar) - click here. HTH, G

JimmE 22:56 05 Aug 2004

I'll try that test tomorrow, woodchip. If the worst comes to the worst, can anyone recommmend the best way to replace an SDRAM motherboard which will fit a Duron 950MHz 200MHz FSB Socket A CPU - the slowest FSB I can find in ebuyer is 266 and that doesn't support SDRAM only DDR.

I mentioned that it might not be possible (if necessary) to replace it and to go for a complete CPU / Mobo / RAM upgrade which is still a possibility so we'll see!

Thanks,

James

woodchip 23:04 05 Aug 2004

see how it goes with what I said first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?