System halted locked out!

sanskrit 16:09 28 Jul 2003

I tried to install Norton system works 2003 onto millenium OS and after reboot I got the following message: "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted". with a blue screen. I've tried to reboot and it just keeps coming up the same. I can access the system in safe mode but only with arrow keys. Any suggestions as how to get back to normal?

DieSse 16:37 28 Jul 2003

Uninstall Norton?

sanskrit 17:32 28 Jul 2003

I did manage to uninstall Norton bit by bit, but the problem still remains, unless there's a hidden file somewhere that I've missed.

spikeychris 17:38 28 Jul 2003

Can you use system restore?

sanskrit 19:09 28 Jul 2003

I've attempted system restore three times and it says the system was restored to an ealier time, but there was no change at bootup.

Philip2 19:36 28 Jul 2003

Use your recovery disk looks like your boot files are corrupted all your data will be lost i hope your backed up.

sanskrit 19:56 28 Jul 2003

I don't have recovery discs as such only a boot system disc. I've attempted several times but to no avail. I'm not concerned with lost data as it was just a back up machine with very little in it.

Philip2 20:41 28 Jul 2003

I would do a full format you will have to get into DOS command if you were running Windows ME you should have a start up floppy to do this.

Philip2 21:02 28 Jul 2003

If you haven't got a Windows ME floppy use the Norton Systemworks Disk but you will have to change first boot to CD in the bios if it then shows A:\ on boot up Type in format c: if that is the drive.
Every think will be lost you will have to install all your drivers ect.

sanskrit 21:05 28 Jul 2003

I only have windows 98se oem CD and a millenium upgrade CD. Can a format be done with those discs? My CD drive is a bit tempremental and tends to pick up when it's in the mood!

Philip2 23:20 28 Jul 2003

Put it in the drive Give it a go with the OEM did this come with your computer?an upgrade disk is of no use if you format you will always require a full version,Tip that is why you should always make a start up floppy.
Do you know anyone that has a 98 or ME floppy to lend you if the OEM doesn't work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017