SYSTEM FREEZES ON LOADING WIN 98SE

CBF1 12:47 08 Nov 2005

I cannot access my comp as it freezes whilst loading windows with a blue screen with no icons etc. The error messages I get are unable to install java packages c:/windows/java/classes/xmlsd04.cab class not regeistered

c:windows/system/dajava.cab and missing files msoe.dll and oeimpad.dll.

I have a P2 300Mhz 512mb RAM
Can anyone please advise me I dont wish to reformat as I have alot of data on HD

Chegs ® 13:33 08 Nov 2005

click here

If you cannot get into windows to delete file,then try either running scanreg restore or booting from startup floppy and deleting from DOS.

phil46 13:44 08 Nov 2005

If i may further to Chegs comment,you are running the max ram for W98 infact i found W98 would hang
using 512mb i used 374mb i assume your using SDR on an old computer.

woodchip 14:26 08 Nov 2005

Try this Start Computer keep pressing F5 for Safe Mode, Now if you can get in go to Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter go to startup tab and remove all exept System Tray, Windows will not run without it. Restart and see if it will go to Normal Windows, If it does Go to Start\Shut Down\choose shut down to DOS at C:\WINDOWS> type

SCANREG /RESTORE choose a old dat before the Problem

woodchip 09:37 09 Nov 2005

It is better to Post hear, Rather than E-Mail s others can do a search after or get help with there problem if it's the same as yours. But if you E.Mail the whole point of the HelpRoom as been lost.

Did you try what I said above? As this will take your Registry back to the time before you tried loading Java. As long as you have not rebooted to windows too many times as it only keeps five backups of the registry.

If you let us know and it did not work, something else can be tried.

CBF1 12:48 09 Nov 2005

Woodchip

I have given the computer to a friend who is going to do what you have suggested and look at a few other things to. I think I have twinkered about with too many things hence the problem. Ill know over the next few days.

Thanks to all who have given your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires