System freezes on dial-up

fudge 15:17 15 Feb 2003

I've posted this problem before but had no replies, so trying again.

When I try to make a dial-up connection it gets as far as 'verifying password' and then everything freezes. Only way out is to turn off computer. Doesn't do it every time but about 1 in 3 and can happen with any ISP.

I'm using Win ME and have tried removing modem and updating drivers but problem still persists. I've not been able to isolate anything that may be causing a conflict (but that doesn't mean there isn't anything).

I get a similar freeze-up occasionally when I try to run a CD or DVD but I don't know if that's a related problem or not.

Has anybody any idea how to stop this happening?

howard60 16:47 15 Feb 2003

both ram and hdd space windows likes 200MB plus of free hdd space to work with especially if the ram is not sufficient to hold everything in at the same time.

fudge 17:36 15 Feb 2003

I've got about 12gb of hdd so that shouldn't be a problem.

I recently added another 128mb of ram so that shouldn't be the problem either. I suspected the new module might be faulty but have since been able to eliminate that.

Incidentally, this only happens on my laptop when I am using it away from home. So far it has never happened using my home phone line, but I don't use it much at home so it probably just hasn't happened yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?