system freeze/crash

Grenier 14:59 30 Sep 2004

hi
i'm a novice (& i mean novice ) using Win98. just recently i've had the prob of switching on, getting to my desktop, & either freezing or crashing. can do nothing but switch off & try again,sometimes with the same result. any suggestions,& please keep it simple for one who is a bit of a moron. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:23 30 Sep 2004

Try going into the "Command Prompt" , and at "C:" type in scanreg /restore.
This will take you to a screen with five dates listed. Choose from one prior to your problem. as a side note your earliest date seldom works

Grenier 11:16 01 Oct 2004

Fruit Bat
thanks for the advice, but like i said you're dealing with a stupid person. how do i get into the "Command Prompt". sorry about this.

regards : Grenier

1514 11:31 01 Oct 2004

Left Click, Start, then Left click, Accessories, and then Command Prompt

1514 11:36 01 Oct 2004

Oh! and by the way Grenier, everyone has to learn and you have probably come to the best forum available, never be afraid to ask here, they are all good uns!

1514 11:40 01 Oct 2004

I have just thought I have told you how to get to XP command promt. I can't remember if it is the same in Win 98

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 01 Oct 2004

command prompt--- tap either F4 or F8 as computer is booting should give you a menu system up select command prompt from this menu (last item i think)

Screen then shows C:\ with flashing cursor type scanreg /restore and press enter

Grenier 06:57 19 Oct 2004

thanks.- did what you suggested, although had to press CTRL key rather than F4 or F8. thought i'd let it run for a while, just to make sure. O.K for a few days, then it started happening again.Not major i know but i worry that one day it's going to crash & not recover.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?