System freeze after first startup OK after reboot!?

Aristocatman 08:08 07 Mar 2015

Having fixed the other problems I had with this Dell Precision T5500 I still have one unusual minor problem. It starts normally but after approximately 5 -10 minutes it freezes with the hard drive light full on. I have to shut it down from the start/stop button on restarting it behaves normally no freeze no obvious error messages I have had a BSOD with MACHINE_CHECK EXCEPTION but not often. I'm not sure what to look for in the logs. Although this is more of an inconvenience that a problem I'd like to resolve it if I can.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 07 Mar 2015

start it up and open task manager leave it running til it freezes.

see what process takes up most cpu and memory when it freezes.

Aristocatman 11:17 07 Mar 2015

Thanks for that I'll give that a go & see what happens, I forgot to mention it happens whether i'm logged in or not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 07 Mar 2015

would be tempted to run the disk checking tool then and possibly a memory test click here

Aristocatman 19:39 07 Mar 2015

Disk check was clear processes only one running 'Super anti spyware CPU 04 45,268K memory all others CPU 00. Memory test is going to be a bit more in volved with 12 CPU's & 36Gb memory.

Aristocatman 11:25 08 Mar 2015

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'd forgotten I ran a memory test a few weeks ago it took ages but was clear - I left it running overnight! So still no obvious cause for freezing I can't get my head round that it happens on first boot up but not on reboot what is the difference?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 08 Mar 2015

Freezing usually down to:-

Memory failing / hard drive failing / virus and malware using all resources / psu voltages low / spikes from external devices cutting in or out e.g. fridge switching on off / overheating / driver conflicts.

As you said it occurred before you logged in I dismissed virus malware, overheating

and ok on subsequent start i dissmissed psu and household voltages

try updating your drivers as they will load with windows

chub_tor 13:21 08 Mar 2015

This is a long shot but I have recently fixed a problem with a Win 7 machine that suffered from apparently random freezing and a slow start up by deleting the contents of the Event Log. I did this by drilling down through C:\Windows\System32\winevt\logs and deleting everything within that folder.

Worked for that machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?