System font amost illegible

sirius60 11:34 04 Mar 2010

Hi

I've been off work for a couple of days and I've come in today and the fonts on my computer have gone very strange.

When looking at them on the screen they look like they have been printed with a printers that is running out of ink. It is also quite small.

Any advice about how to put tis right would be much appreciated.

MAJ 11:51 04 Mar 2010

If you're sure it's not one of your workmates playing a joke on you, then it's probable that one of your system fonts has corrupted for some reason. Try going to Start > Run and type in:

sfc /scannow

and click OK. The system file checker will run and attempt to repair the system files. You might need your Windows CD to hand, but possibly not.

As it's a work PC, have you contacted your IT guys?

sirius60 15:36 04 Mar 2010

Unfortunately we don't have the windwos CD and I'm sure no one would have done anything as a joke.

When we transferred ownership of the business we were never given the original CD's which has always been a problem.

Can you think of any other solutions. I can hardly read anything.

Sea Urchin 17:05 04 Mar 2010

Is this just on items you are typing - or all the system fonts as well? For example on this PCA site are the menus down the left-hand side corrupted?

Sea Urchin 17:05 04 Mar 2010

I should have said "links" rather than menus

Sea Urchin 17:06 04 Mar 2010

I've just re-read the title to your posting which answers my question.

BT 17:43 04 Mar 2010

Have you tried 'Cleartype' from Microsoft Power Toys

click here

MAJ 18:34 04 Mar 2010

"Unfortunately we don't have the windwos CD"

Run SFC anyway, sirius60, depending on how Windows was installed, you might not need the CD.

sirius60 18:54 05 Mar 2010

Hi Folks - thanks for the help

Yes I did give it a try and it asked for the CD. Hi BT - not sure what Cleartype would do as my feeling is something changed while I was off work either one of my colleagues did something or I log on with logmein.com maybe that changed something.

Any other ideas?

MAJ 18:58 05 Mar 2010

Have you tried a System Restore to a date prior to your couple of days off?

OTT_B 19:28 05 Mar 2010

Is it just fonts or icons as well? Is it specific to any application, or is it all apps?

Screen resolution is worth looking at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache