System File Checker

Arthur 15:10 18 Sep 2006

I have attempted to run system file checker as stated in on page 154 of November's issue "Helpline". I get the message Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now. I am using XP Home Edition, I attempt to insert the CD for the Home Edition and it is ignored. If I then attempt to cancel the operation it is ignored and I have to reboot. Help please

skidzy 15:15 18 Sep 2006

Arthur,what exactly are you trying to repair if you indeed have a problem.

Normally sfc will carry on if you decide to cancel at the point of asking for the cd.
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 18 Sep 2006

sfc /scannow problems
click here

VoG II 15:19 18 Sep 2006
  Stuartli 16:29 18 Sep 2006

Do you have two optical drives?

If so, you need to use the D (drive letter) drive for the XP disk.

jimv7 16:34 18 Sep 2006

If your using xp pro then xp home will not work, thats why its asking for the proper cd.

Arthur 18:15 18 Sep 2006

I have overcome the problem with calling for the Windows Professional CD by using the method promulgated by MS but I now have another problem, I now get a prompt for the windows Home Service Pack 2 CD. I do not have that CD. I think I downloaded Service Pack 2

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 18 Sep 2006

you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. You do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one you want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:
Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?