System File Check

Blazon82 13:04 29 Nov 2006

Each time my computer starts it asks for a System File Check.
I appreciate the subject has been covered in the forum, but none of the solutions seem to work for me.
Running Widows XP home edition.
The entry in the registry, autocheck autochk * is present.
I have run sfc /scannow but that comes up with nothing.
I am also running Hyperos, and can run a system on my second hard disk, but I still get the SFC on my first drive, C.
If I do chkdsk, that cures the problem, but only for 5 startups, after that it goes back to wanting the SFC.
Does it suggest that the first hard drive is starting to fail?

Diemmess 13:13 29 Nov 2006

Using HyperOs suggests you have backed u previous incarnations of the errant drive.

I assume by drive C: you mean the first HD and not the actual drive c: which with HyperOs system is used only as a management store and should not itself be used as a bootable drive.

Have you tried restoring an oldish version of the first system?

Diemmess 13:45 29 Nov 2006

Sorry _ Drive c: IS USED for W98 installations, but is not meant to be developed as the main working system.

Using later versions of HyperOs and with Win 2K or XP - drive C: is ignored.

freaky 16:29 29 Nov 2006

Had the same problem a month ago, eventually replaced the HD as Checkdisk was reporting lost/damaged clusters, and it took ages to defrag.

How old is the HD, and does Checkdisk report any problems ?

Blazon82 18:18 29 Nov 2006

Hi freaky,
HD is 4 years old. Checksisk does not report any problems. As I mentioned after running that, the next 5 times I start up there is no problem, then it goes back to SFC each time.

Diemmess,
I have the latest Hyperos, and have always used C as the main drive without any problems. I have 2 drives, partitions C & D are on the first drive then E,F &G on the second drive. If I run Win XP on E partition, the SFC still sows as checking C drive.

Diemmess 09:06 30 Nov 2006

Just wondering if you duplicated a full system at some stage complete with an AV application.

I did this a year or two back and got things into a terrible tangle.
AVG is a very good piece of software but interaction between drives caused trouble - big time!
It seems that AV and a good firewall are aware of all drives, and confuse the active system.

Zone Alarm for instance insisted onseeking permissions which had only just been given. AVG on one system would declare it was out of date but wouldn't acknowledge an update.

It might be worth airing your problem on the HyperOs forum -
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 30 Nov 2006

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here

Disable Autochk
click here

Blazon82 18:55 30 Nov 2006

Thanks for all the comments.

Diemmess,
I have duplicated a full system, but have been running them for a long time without any problems. Will take the advice and try the Hyperos Forum

Blazon82 08:55 01 Dec 2006

The SFC came up yesterday and found several faults which were corrected.
Today it did a normal startup so I will tick as resolved, with thanks to all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone