system failure

policepistolone 11:21 14 Oct 2008

Hi can anyone help I purchased a Toshiba Tecra 8000 Laptop about 3-4 years ago it was a used one it came loaded with Windows XP. We have only used it for surfing the net ect, my wfife swiched it on last evening and it powers up and the screen stays black and a message appers saying **"insert system disk in drive and press any key when ready"** what dose this mean as I did not have any discs with the machine when bought I had a desktop and purchased a copy of Windows ME 2000 can I install this on the laptop? if so what do I need to do to the Tecra to get it to let me load it on as I can not ge past the above message**?
Any help please
Policepistolone

setecio 11:25 14 Oct 2008

This usually means it isn't detecting the operating system or hard drive.

Try going into the bios to see if the hard drive is being detected.

Sometimes it is just a lose cable inside, but that might not be easy to get at. Other times the hard drive needs to have it's funeral service or a virus has hit.

birdface 11:54 14 Oct 2008

Make sure that you have no Discs in any of the drives,Have you tried starting in safe mode.And try last good configuration.[Just keep tapping F8 as computer starts.]

woodchip 12:35 14 Oct 2008

Faulty Hard Drive or Corrupt, Try removing the Hard Drive under a Plate at the bottom may be held by two screws. then try starting Laptop. If you get something on screen the drive is as above. You could try refit it then retry it as it may just be bad drive connection

baldydave 13:09 14 Oct 2008

Hi,
make sure you have no discs in any drives eg cdrom/floppy if so remove and reboot.
I have seen this happen before on older laptops

baldydave 13:10 14 Oct 2008

Sorry buteman didnt read thread properly you have beat me to it!

woodchip 15:53 15 Oct 2008

If as in your e-mail the drive is Clicking. These means that its trying to read the Hard Drive but cannot. This is as I said above the Drive is Corupt or faulty. You could fit the Drive in a USB caddy to get you documents and files of the drive Caddys click here
You need to know what kind of drive is fitted in the Laptop before you order the caddy, and you need a 2.5 ins caddy. after fitting your drive in the caddy you should be able to get your files off and check the drive on a XP computer if that is what the laptop is. After you check the disc you could try running it again in the laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Album Art 2017: Nominees & past winners of Best Art Vinyl Awards to be exhibited

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?