System error with XP Home

ACOLYTE 23:02 11 Apr 2010

When i try to boot the pc i get
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt and i cant get it to boot,i did try to reinstall windows but it tells me it cant find a valid OS and i need to insert a full version of Windows XP/98/2000 etc i have put my XP home upgrade cd in but it doesn't see or read it and i cant get any further repairing the pc.
I was hoping to repair it without having to format and lose all my stuff.

Technotiger 23:09 11 Apr 2010

Only a long-shot, but can you try booting into Safe mode - then maybe a System Restore.

ACOLYTE 23:13 11 Apr 2010

Thx i did try to boot in safe mode but it hangs at the same file it says is corrupt and wont move.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 11 Apr 2010

download and burn a linux cd something like Knoppix click here

Set the BIOS to boot from CD and insert and run linux from the CD you can then repair this problem as follows:

navigate to folder C:\windows\system32\config and delete the system file

navigate to folder c:\windows\repair and copy the system file to folder c:\windows\system32\config

close linux and remove the disk. the machine should then be rebooted into windows.

ACOLYTE 00:16 12 Apr 2010

How do i navigate to the file?,i know it may sound daft but i cant get into windows to delete and copy files,and i dont think Linux files would work with XP would they?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 12 Apr 2010

Yes linux will see the NTFS disk and you can access the windows files and folders

ACOLYTE 17:59 24 Apr 2010

Thx i finally managed to get this sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017