System error with XP Home

ACOLYTE 23:02 11 Apr 2010

When i try to boot the pc i get
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt and i cant get it to boot,i did try to reinstall windows but it tells me it cant find a valid OS and i need to insert a full version of Windows XP/98/2000 etc i have put my XP home upgrade cd in but it doesn't see or read it and i cant get any further repairing the pc.
I was hoping to repair it without having to format and lose all my stuff.

Technotiger 23:09 11 Apr 2010

Only a long-shot, but can you try booting into Safe mode - then maybe a System Restore.

ACOLYTE 23:13 11 Apr 2010

Thx i did try to boot in safe mode but it hangs at the same file it says is corrupt and wont move.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 11 Apr 2010

download and burn a linux cd something like Knoppix click here

Set the BIOS to boot from CD and insert and run linux from the CD you can then repair this problem as follows:

navigate to folder C:\windows\system32\config and delete the system file

navigate to folder c:\windows\repair and copy the system file to folder c:\windows\system32\config

close linux and remove the disk. the machine should then be rebooted into windows.

ACOLYTE 00:16 12 Apr 2010

How do i navigate to the file?,i know it may sound daft but i cant get into windows to delete and copy files,and i dont think Linux files would work with XP would they?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 12 Apr 2010

Yes linux will see the NTFS disk and you can access the windows files and folders

ACOLYTE 17:59 24 Apr 2010

Thx i finally managed to get this sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?