System error 5 - access denied

artintime 20:30 11 Aug 2007

Hi everyone! i wanted to create a password for guest account which of course is not possible but can be created from the command prompt. so what i did was start+program files+accessories+command prompt, then i wrote net user guest in it and pressed ENTER key. i wrote password i wanted and pressed ENTER again. it answered - system error 5 access denied.
my worries is that, is system error 5 bad for a my computer? is it smithing that needs fixing or is it just a text response? and can be nothing wrong with it?
i am not quite literate in the comp world, so i will appreciate your advice!!!

Clapton is God 20:36 11 Aug 2007

Why are you posting duplicate threads? click here

Andy1991 20:40 11 Aug 2007

It won't let u do it because of permissions, this might be because of the restrictions to the guest account, but it is probably (if u say it can be done) ur permissions, u need to be in a administrator account, go to START > RUN type "Control Userpasswords2" and double click ur name and go to "Group membership" tab, change the drop down list to "Administrators" (if already is then drop it down and reselect it), then click apply and OK. This should help. And u don't need to do it by Command Promt just use the Control Userpasswords2 dialog, click "Guest" then click "Reset Password" Button.

Pamy 20:40 11 Aug 2007

click here look below the mas of blue errors

artintime 21:28 11 Aug 2007

thanks all of you, and sorry i posted the same in two threads just wanted to have it a proper title to the issue.i have VISTA so it's little different to windows XP. it really terrified me when i saw error 5 there, thought it's serious problem and will stay on my comp. but do u think it's a good idea to create password for guest account? will it be good for operating system or will it make some damages? if i make the password in a proper way will the "error 5 - access denied" go away?
cheers

Andy1991 11:22 12 Aug 2007

the message only appear because of permissions to perform the action, so, when u do do it, u should not get any error message. If u want to secure ur computer then just disable the guest account, but if u want a guest account try an alternative of creating a new account called Visitor or somthing different to "Guest" and give it limited access then give it a password

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?