System Error 1003

anglefish 20:25 27 Jan 2008

Help, I have a problem with my PC - it keeps crashing - turns itself off and then reboots itself. At times it also freezes and wont turn off unless I hold the on button for 6 seconds. The same error shows in the eventvwr each time it crashes 'System Error 1003' but I can't find what this is. Its an Evesham and on XP.

MCE2K5 20:34 27 Jan 2008
  MAJ 20:35 27 Jan 2008

Have you installed anything new? Chances are it's a hardware problem, anglefish, usually faulty memory or a faulty graphics card. If you have more than one memory module installed, try taking one out, try it, swap them around and try again, see if the problem re-occurs with just one memory module in.

anglefish 17:55 04 Feb 2008

Thanks MCE2K5 but I don't seem to have the two drivers that microsoft has named as being the culprits - any other ideas?

Also MAJ - Thanks, I will need to find a bit of spare time to try your idea out - of which I am short of at present. Can you confirm when you say faulty memory - do you mean hard disk memory or RAM? I have 2 hard drives and 2 lots of RAM.

MAJ 17:59 04 Feb 2008

I mean RAM, anglefish. Hard disk space isn't referred to as memory.

MAT ALAN 18:00 04 Feb 2008

could be memory

click here

the link will help...

the error 1003 is non specific it normally comes with another error message that can help identify the problem, it has been known to be related to corrupt VGA drivers, might help to uninstall old and reinstall latest from manufactures website...

anglefish 18:01 04 Feb 2008

sorry MAJ, showing my ignorance...will check this out. thanks

anglefish 20:01 04 Feb 2008

Thanks MAT ALAN. Can you tell me where I find the VGA driver? I have had a look in Device Manager but not sure which one it is.

MAT ALAN 20:45 04 Feb 2008

Its your graphics card, you need to identify this it, is what ever is listed in device manager under display adapters

anglefish 22:26 21 Feb 2008

Thanks Mat Alan
Tried the MemTest for 8 hours and it seems to have cured the problem. Strange as I thought it would only identify the problem not solve it. Anyway so far so good....

anglefish 11:29 11 May 2008

obviously i didn't cure our crashing problem - it continued to do it. now it will not start correctly at all. Just get a blank screen and no bios bleep when its switched on or another time it says window has recovered from a serious error do you want to start in normal mode, safe mode etc. When I say safe mode, it tries to start up and then it switches off and then restarts and we go through the same again, and again. Have ordered a new pc but any help to get this one up and running would be much appreciated...so that I can get my itunes and emails off of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?