System Defender nuisance

geedad 19:49 24 Mar 2011

I keep getting System Defender popping up to inform me that I have several Trojan viruses. I want to know how to prevent it from popping up all the time. I already have protection from various sources, and of course, they want my money!
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it,please?
geedad

birdface 19:59 24 Mar 2011

What other protection do you have.
To stop Windows defender from running go into Services and scroll down to W/defender and switch it off.

[I already have protection from various sources, and of course, they want my money!]
Who is it that wants your money as you have some rogue security programs out there so don't part with your money if it is one of those.

birdface 20:07 24 Mar 2011

Oops.

click here

birdface 20:09 24 Mar 2011

Sorry i needed my specs on.
I thought it said W/defender

geedad 20:13 24 Mar 2011

buteman
Thanks very much, buteman. I have AVG (free) running continuously, and it reports that " No problems exist".
I also use Ccleaner.
If no problems exist, why should 'System Defender' report many Trojans?
And is it a genuine product, with a nuisance method of wanting me to buy the program?
Even as I type, it is popping up and preventing me from replying to you, until I close it, again and again!
Where is it located, please?
geedad

bremner 20:16 24 Mar 2011

It is a scam program as you will see if you click on butemans link at 20.07

geedad 20:52 24 Mar 2011

bremner
buteman
Yes, bremner, the postings crossed before I could reply. It is getting progressively worse to use the PC because of the terrible pop-ups.
I have printed 9 pages based on 'buteman's' advice, but I am finding it hard going!
I have downloaded Bkill-explorer, but I think I should have downloaded it in 'safe mode'. I have not used it yet, I think it is still downloaded on my Desktop. I think I need a bit more help.I am going to try for 'Safe Mode' next, because that is where , I suppose, it should be used.
geedad.
I will wait a few minutes to 'catch up' on Forum advice.
Thank you very, very much. You are all a great help.
geedad

onthelimit 21:09 24 Mar 2011

Scroll down to the removal instructions click here. You will see you need to start in Safe Mode with Networking. Do that, go to the Bleeping Computer guide again and do what they say. It will get rid of the pest.

birdface 21:24 24 Mar 2011

You could try this.

To remove false security programs

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
5. Activate Free Licence
6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

geedad 22:02 24 Mar 2011

buteman. I followed your last posting and lo and behold - I have not had a nuisance pop-up in 5 minutes, and all other - almost permanent! - pop-ups have gone!!
What an amazing application. Will I be able to use it again, at some future date if the same problem crops up, as a one-off as I did today?

Many thanks to you for such a wonderful app.
============================================
Many thanks also to 'onthelimit' and 'bremner'.
I shall keep your suggestions for future reference.
geedad

birdface 22:25 24 Mar 2011

If you had to activate the licence it will only last for a month.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?