System crash, nothing to go on!

Fullywired 11:14 16 Jan 2005

AsRock K8 Combo-Z, Athlon 64 3000+, 512Mb DDR400, Gainward geforce 4 Ti4200 64Mb.
i have just had my PC running for the past hour or two and i started afew downloads going, however, i was sat in another room, happily reading my copy of micro mart and i heard the sound of my monitor switching off!! when i came to look i found that the whole computer had crashed!! my only option was to restart, as a result i lost quite afew downloads but i am still unaware of the problem!! upon logging on to windows i recived the message: "The system has recovered from a serious error." i looked at the log and all i get is the following info: "Error Signature
BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 821398F0 BCP2 : 829E05B8 BCP3 : F8994CB4
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1 " to me this is usless but i hope someone here can make something of it! any help is much appriciated!! i seem to get the impression that it was a graphics card failiure because when i restarted the first time, the screen was covered in pretty colors!! (not so pretty really just irratating!!)

any ideas??

Regards

Fullywired

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:34 16 Jan 2005

1.There are known compatibility issues between Windows XP and versions of Easy CD Creator earlier than version 5.1. that cause this error.

2 Nvidia Graphics card drivers have also been known to cause this have you update recently? If so the roll back the driver.

JIM 12:11 16 Jan 2005

Error info and code appear to lean towards driver problems looking at the MS Help and support.Check out your device manager there may be a clue. Also check for drivers that may not be MS Signatured.

"sound of my monitor switching off!!"

Check a few items poss you may have set for power saving as it may have just been a reaction to something set to powerdown after a period of idle activity.

Broadband /dialup connection?

May be a one off but a pain at the moment.Clear your event logs and applications logs,reboot and check them again see if anything is causing a problem during startup.

Fullywired 12:31 16 Jan 2005

thanks guys!! Driver provider: Nvidia, Driver Date: 28/07/2003, Driver Version: 4.5.2.3, Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher. i know there is an update on the windows update site but last time i downloaded it, i couldn't get the resolution above 640x480 with 4bit color!! i eventually had to revert back to the older ones!! should i get Drivers from the Gainward site or the Nvidia site?? i will restart now, but the monitor is set to switch off after 4 hours but i had been using it only 20 minutes before the crash!!

Regards

Fullywired

JIM 12:41 16 Jan 2005

I run the Gainward geforce 4 Ti4400 128Mb use vers Nvidia 66.93 no problems download the standard 17MB +

Just make sure you unintall old, from add/remove programs REBOOT before you open up and install new.

I run 19"mon,at 32bit 1280x 1024 ajust windows appearance/themes/text /icons to suit.

Fullywired 14:01 16 Jan 2005

i have just installed the 66.93 drivers from Nvidia and the system seems fine. however, i have just run 3D Mark 03 to see what i get and as soon as Game test 2 loaded the Card crashed again!! i currently have my eye on an Aopen FX5200 with VIVO. i want a new card anyway but i thought that i woud get a VIVO one so that i can put some of my VHS's on to DVD!! any other recomendations around the £70 mark?

Regards

Fullywired

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie