System & CPU Temperatures

TopBloke37 18:40 24 Feb 2005

Hi there, does anyone know what are "normal" or dangerously high temperatures for system & CPUs as revealed in BIOS. Mine are 32 & 72 deg respectively and I fear this is higher than it should be (the fan has started lately whirring away with more noise than normal) Ive had the tower open and cleaned it of dust. At what temperature might the system pack up? Is there anything else I can do, if indeed 72 deg is too high to lower this?

georgemac © 18:49 24 Feb 2005

I would be getting concerned at 72 degC on the CPU - assuming it is an athlon they are usually rated for 85 or 90 degC.

The other concern is that if this is what it is in the bios, this is when there is no load on the cpu, when the cpu gets loaded (playing games etc) this temp will increase.

Sure we helped you yesterday increase the cpu speed? off to check the other thread - will be back.

georgemac © 18:57 24 Feb 2005

click here and install motherboard monitor - this should find the probes and allow you to monitor your system temps and fan speeds

It would be even better if there is a gigabyte utility to do this on your motherboard driver cd

high temp would also explain why you have been having problems

also try running with the side off the case see if this improves things

TopBloke37 19:01 24 Feb 2005

Yes you're probably right it does get hotter I imagine. Have been using it with side panel off for last 5 days!

User-312386 19:03 24 Feb 2005

BIOS Temp is fine

However, the CPU temperature is really high

Have you cleaned the fan on the CPU lately and checked it is spinning? I see you removed your graphics card and "hit a switch" click here

Could you inadavertantly have pulled the CPU fan lead out and its not spinning. If your not careful you could burn the CPU out

User-312386 19:07 24 Feb 2005

My Athlon 2200XP runs at 30c (BIOS) and 45c (CPU)

And the max it goes to is about 33c and 49c when gaming

The BB 19:07 24 Feb 2005

Noisy, but I use pushme-pullyou fan set up. A 120mm sucking stuff in at the front (ensuring the PC is not on carpet) and a 80mm fan at the back blowing it out (on one machine through the rear speaker grill, on another via a DIY hole - make sure you don't get any metal in the unit though). Gives a good cross flow, and, by having the fans wired direct into the PSU rather than the motherboard there is no additional load on the motherboard power take off

User-312386 19:16 24 Feb 2005

I also have an exhaust rear fan as well as AMD's do tend to get hot(but not as hot as yours, although i do not have a front "push fan" as the CPU fan does that.

Good idea though BB

Totally-braindead 19:28 24 Feb 2005

A warning about running the PC with the case sides off. This may cause even more problems with overheating. The way its meant to work is cool air in at the front warm air out at the back,or the otherway about but one sucking cool air air and another blowing the warm air out preferably with the fans across from each other to get the airflow across the motherboard, if you run the PC with the case sides off then you disrupt the airflow running through the PC meaning the warm air instead of being dragged out by the fan sits about above the components and may cause it to heat even more. I know this may sound strange but it is in fact true, there was a thread on it some time ago when the FE was trying to explain to someone why running with the case sides off may in fact increase the temps. The CPU temp definately needs looking at mine a 2500 Athlon runs between 49 and 55, thats 55 on load. As has been mentioned AMD CPUs are rated to 85 but you're getting far too close to the temperature that your processor will blow at. If the fans are all ok then I'd be getting some thermal paste, removing and cleaning the CPU and reinstalling it in case its that.

georgemac © 19:56 24 Feb 2005

click here amd cooling guide

I have found that a twin fan psu is the most effective at reducing temp's, and the bigger the case is with more airspace the better.

They type of heatsink and fan can also make a big difference, but some of these can be a real pain to remove and fit, and you have to be extremely careful not to damage the cpu or motherboard when doing this.

click here a good site

click here=|+language%3Aen&ct=1325960345&qm=1&ql=&lk=1&rf=0&ws=1&tqmhak=0&lap=en this amd article shows the correct and incorrect ways to fit a heatsink/fan

georgemac © 19:57 24 Feb 2005

click here thank you again tinyurl for helping fix a broken link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017