System cleanup

GBL 20:26 07 Oct 2008

I am trying to clean up the system of unwanted clutter, Using Win XP Pro.

On "C" drive in Program Files I have the following empty folders: Ascentive, ComPlus Applications, MSXML 4.0, SlySoft, SonicWallES.
Can I delete them??

Also in there are files for Iomega and Mozilla FireFox, which I no longer require but cannot delete them. None of these appear in the Control Panel Add and Remove programs list.

I also want to uninstal Print Shop 15 which does appear in the list but cannot uninstal it, the system locks and then resumes as before.
There is no uninstal option in the program.

peter99co 20:33 07 Oct 2008

I would look into downloading Ccleaner. Has lots of users who are very happy to use it.

GBL 21:05 07 Oct 2008

I use CCleaner more than twice a day, a great program but it won't sort this one out.

Terry Brown 21:08 07 Oct 2008

Sometimes the only way to clear clutter is to save the files you want to another drive and format & re-build your drive.

If you decide to do this, dont forget to save your email messages & address book, as these are often forgotten until it is too late.
Terry

provider 2 22:38 07 Oct 2008

You might want to have a look at the Revounistaller (freeware) program. It`s a lot more capable than Add/Remove and has several different modules for different uninstall or disable functions, junk clearing etc.

I`ve found the "search as you type" facility particularly useful for stuff that doesn`t appear in Add/Remove.

click here

(This is the uninstaller description page.)

GBL 10:07 08 Oct 2008

Thanks, have tried that with the same result, The Print Shop 15 will not uninstall.

Sea Urchin 10:14 08 Oct 2008

Manually uninstalling Print Shop 15 - try here

click here

Halmer 10:22 08 Oct 2008

I think you may have a touch of the Howard Hughes's.

Seriously, if they are empty folders you can get rid of them if they relate to uninstalled programs.

Having said that they are hardly going to increase your available disc space at all.

GBL 11:10 08 Oct 2008

Thanks Sea Urchin that has now sorted that. As for Halmer, I have no idea what the empty folders are but the main concern was to get rid of both Iomega and Firefox, I will have another look at Revounistaller when I get more time. Thanks to all.

provider 2 11:38 08 Oct 2008

I e-mailed the Revo support team to see what they had to say about it.

Thank you very much for your report!
We were unable to download Print Shop 15 and make some tests, but as you described the situation there is a problem with the built-in uninstaller of Print Shop 15.
Basically Revo Uninstaller can handle the uninstall procedure even if the built-in uninstaller doesn't work. So on step 2 of the uninstall wizard if the built-in uninstaller gives some some kind of error message
you have just to close(stop) it, but if the built-in uninstaller hangs then you have to try to stop it using "End Task" in Task Manager. After that you may continue using Revo Uninstaller pressing "Next" and go further to the step 3 of the uninstall procedure with Revo Uninstaller following the steps.

(Quickest response to a support question I`ve ever seen!))

GBL 17:34 08 Oct 2008

Thanks provider 2, but now have it sorted, did what sea urchin said then ran Revo again, somehow it has worked so all is fine now. Thanks for your help though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?