System Building Info.

23790954 18:16 29 Jul 2006

I am about to start building myself another system. Can any of you helpful people assist me with the following issues.
I intend build a more powerful system than previously, and I would like to know;
How can you find out how strong a power supply unit has to be to run a certain reasonably powerful system to maintain system stability.
Also, I do like my desktop case, which sits neatly under my monitor, but this has only a 300W
power supply unit, which I doubt will be strong enough to give stability to a more powerful system. Is it possible to buy a stronger PSU for a desktop, remembering that they are slightly smaller in size to tower and mini tower etc. power supplies. If not does anyone know any way round this problem.
Many thanks for all help given.

irishrapter 18:33 29 Jul 2006

Go here click here

They have a lot of psu's.

I use a Hyper 580 watt PSU. Good PSU no problems yet!

I would go for at least a 500 watt or higher, may seem a bit too much but it gives you room to upgrade in the future.

Dont go for a cheapy psu, get a get known one.

ulrich 18:37 29 Jul 2006

It all depends on what you want to do. Over the last couple of years I have upgraded my PC, and each time I brought a new PSU. Then I decided to totally upgrade, but knowing I will upgrade again even though for now it is overkill I brought a Seasonic 600w PSU which I know is reliable. 300w is not going to be good enough, and whatever you do do not buy a low price one unless you read a good review.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?