System boot failure

johnlecarre 18:45 28 Dec 2003

PC has stopped booting from hard disk,can boot floppy and cd but no access to hard disk even via command prompt.Gues this is quite serious, anyone know of any way to get data off HD, any diagnostics etc, scandisk etc from A drive wont work - help! the HD has a load of my sons' uni work on it. Thanks

Quiller. 19:02 28 Dec 2003

Have you checked that the IDE ribbon cable in the back of the hard drive is firmly pushed in. The same with the one attached to the motherboard. Also check that the power lead is firmly pushed in.

When you boot the machine, go to the bios and check that all primary and secondary devices are on auto detect. This just may find the hard drive again. Have you heard any mysterious clicking noises from the computer?

The usual method to try and save data from a suspect hard drive is to fit the suspect hard drive as a slave into a different machine. Then try and copy all the folders over to a know good hard drive.

johnlecarre 19:07 28 Dec 2003

Have checked the cables etc and the drive is being recognised by the BIOS i.e. you can view the drive properties through the BIOS. You can hear the drive trying to access but it just won't boot or access through DOS.

Did try and put the drive into a 2nd machine but it wasn't recognised by windows. Could this be beacuse it is a Windows 2000 drive with NTFS and the computer I am trying it in runs Windows ME and uses FAT32??

Thanks for your help

VoG II 19:17 28 Dec 2003

click here should enable you to read your NTFS drive on a ME machine.

Quiller. 19:26 28 Dec 2003

Yes you are right. If the suspect drive is NTFS then M.E's fat32 won't be able to see it.

VoG's excellent link looks like a very good idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?