system alert

acceptmyname 16:54 17 Mar 2007

In my toolbar I have a flasing icon that says system alert when I click on it it takes me to a website for something called spyscan.

I have run noton anti virus 2007 and numerous other spyware and adaware progroms but it is still ther can anybody please help

chub_tor 17:21 17 Mar 2007

Does it automatically load into the toolbar when you boot up? If so you can always stop it from loading by using Start, Run, msconfig, click on the StartUp tab and looking for it, then disable it by unticking it.

acceptmyname 17:25 17 Mar 2007

You wouldnt believe it would you just after putting my message in norton cmae up with"virusburst has been removed from your computer please reboot" I rebooted and it is now gone unbelievable

curlylad 17:54 17 Mar 2007

acceptmyname

Spyscan and virusburst are indications that you have an infection known as Smitfraud.
Smitfraud will use pop ups amoungst other things to inform you that you have been infected by something and that their scanner or program, which you have to pay for, will remove it.These are bogus or sub standard tools and are no better than free tools that you can get to do the same job.

There is a good possibility that the infection has not been completely removed, my advice would be to go to click here and follow the instructions to post a HijackThis log, the people over there will remove the infection and advise on beefing up your security with free programs.

acceptmyname 19:12 17 Mar 2007

Thanks for the advice curlylad but it seems to be resolved now

mick 47 23:21 09 May 2007

In order to get rid of a program called 'ABetterInternet' I downloaded and paid for this - as it did not identify this I then again downloaded PC Tools 'SpyWare Doctor' which then identified and removed all traces of SPYSCAN - so I lost £29.00. Be aware.

Mick Cowan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?