System 32 files missing

Paul-269846 08:34 15 Jul 2005

Hi,
I am having a problem on start-up where it appears that a number of my system 32 files are missing, I believe that my antivirus software has identified something and then I've carelessly removed them without checking the anti-virus log.

My windows xp home was pre-installed, is there any way that I can get a download to replace the missing files or ideally a system check that will tell me what files are missing.

Thanks for your help in advance

johnnyrocker 08:35 15 Jul 2005

why not try system restore it might get you out of trouble?

johnny.

ACOLYTE 09:29 15 Jul 2005

You could try typing sfc /scannow in the run box
then windows should check for lost/corrupt files and replace them if windows was preinstalled you may have the files in a partition on the hard drive or if you have a recovery cd you may have to incert that if asked.
Does it say what files are missing?

woodchip 09:38 15 Jul 2005

If you tell us what files we may be able to help

Paul-269846 11:14 15 Jul 2005

Ok, thanks for help so far, still no improvement though. This is the first part of a very long list of eror messages.

Windows\System32\sdkcn.exe

this same message appears with just the wording after the System32 changing eg: System32\javagd.exe.

A few more examples of messages (there are probably about 50 in total)

winva.exe
winqk.exe
netzs.exe
javadw32.exe
jpnx.exe
ntsu32.exe
jpwl.exe
appoe32.exe
ntet.exe

Once again, thanks for any help received

VoG II 11:46 15 Jul 2005

Those are not Windows files and are probably the virus files that were removed. However, your PC is looking for them on startup.

Start, Run, type

msconfig

and click OK.

Click on the Startup tab. Untick the entries for those files.

When you restart your PC you will get a message about being in selective startup mode. Just tick the box to not display this message again.

Paul-269846 16:13 16 Jul 2005

There are no readily identifiable files matching these so I have unselected the files I don't recognise but to no avail.

Is there any way it may be a virus as it has not been identified by any of my anti-virus or spyware progs (sophos Av, Adaware Se, Spybot,zone alarm pro, A2),

Any help again is gratefuly received

Class57 16:25 16 Jul 2005

You may have to turn Sytem restore OFF - the files are probably in the backup created in sys restore.
run spyware/adware programme/ antivirus - should find problem files which u can then delete.
If OK then turn system restore back on - you will have lost all previous restore points.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 16 Jul 2005

Also make sure that System Restore is still disabled (if you enabled it).

Download AboutBuster file.click here and unzip it to a folder on your the Desktop. Do not run it yet.

Reboot into Safe Mode (hit F8 key until menu shows up).

Run AboutBuster and follow the prompts to scan (choose Yes/OK for all). It will ask you if you want a second scan, choose Yes. Save the log file and post it here.

Restart and post a click here HijackThis log file and the AboutBuster log file.click here

Paul-269846 21:31 24 Jul 2005

Sorted, I found some ( about 40 ) rogue files in my browser favourites folder, deleted them and no problems since. I don't know how they crept in though, sneaky buggers.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Lilbil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?