Sysdata.xml errors

San Alwigi 15:56 14 Sep 2008

My PC suddenly restarts for some reason and once it has restarted, I get a System Error message including phrases like "sysdata.xml" and "mini(today's date).dmp".

I've tried updating video and sound card driuvers, but still the same. Suggestions please?

It seems to mainly happen during a video game or downloading a streaming video service. My video card is an ATI Radeon 9250. Perhaps I should upgrade? I'm running XP Home with 1GB RAM and a 1.9mhz CPU.

brundle 16:49 14 Sep 2008

Disable auto restart and make a note of the stop code and any drivers or filenames listed; click here

San Alwigi 23:26 14 Sep 2008

Have done that - will monitor codes...

woodchip 23:31 14 Sep 2008

Some Help click here

San Alwigi 17:21 15 Sep 2008

I'm not sure what codes were meant to be generated by disabling the auto restart, but now the PC seems to just freeze all the time. I shut down manually and on manual restart I get a "system has recovered from a serious error" dialogue. It then tells me the data about the error is corrupted!

Now, whenever the system boots up it checks the drives and the memory but then give sme the following message even before the Windows logo appears: "Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Wah? The PC has a floppy drive but that hasn't been used for YEARS. This PC has a relatively new power supply, a relatively new second hard drive and was working perfectly until recently. I would now go to system restore, but can't get past the floppy fail message.

Using my laptop to post this new response by the way! Any help please?

San Alwigi 18:05 15 Sep 2008

I DID flash the BIOS recently (recommended to do so by Driver Genius - ha!) so could that be behind these problems???

I've since gone into BIOS on startup by hitting DEL and disabled the Floppy which perhaps has been the problem...now the PC has started again.

Thoughts please?

brundle 19:03 15 Sep 2008

BIOS could be the issue, not usually a good idea to flash the BIOS unless it will fix a specific known problem. Look in the event log for red or yellow warnings. click here

San Alwigi 16:45 16 Sep 2008

OK, the event viewer shows I have two regularly recurring Errors (more than once a day):

1) "The OMSCAN service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified"
2) "The Steganos Live Encryption Engine (Version 401) (Driver) service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

I suspect these are linked to old software since removed although I do run CCleaner regularly. But I don't think these are thye problem do you?

I also get a warning about "Unclassified Software - ATICDSDr" which I suspect is linked to my Radeon graphics card whicch could be more of a problem.

I have tried to update the drivers for this and although they download properly, they don't seem to install (the driver date remains the same when viewed through Device Manager)

I also have sporadic system Errors in the Event viewer with stuff like this:
Error code 10000050, parameter1 99369eb9, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 b78bc762, parameter4 00000000

Er...any views please?
Thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?