Sys Config Utility-gone walkabout

lacker 10:58 20 May 2003

I am running XP pro(legal) and have just deleted a partition using PM8.Unfortunately,It has left me problems booting up the remaining partition.On initial boot up I now get a choice of two 'windows defaults'.one of which produces an error and will not boot.The other gets me into the system.When I tried 'RUN'-'Msconfig'nothing happens.I have tried re-installing XP pro by the upgrade method(to protect my files)and it stops after a short time to tell me my 'BOOT.INI' does not exist and it can't continue.It seems the entire config sys utility has gone missing.Is there anyway I can get it back without doing a complete reinstall of the OS.
I await your suggestions with nervous anticipation.
Tony

lacker 13:09 20 May 2003

The Transporter 13:19 20 May 2003

Right click on "my computer" then select "properties".

Go into the advancede tab (i think)

then select the start up boot choices button.

There you can edit the boot.ini file etc.

All you have to do is select the drop down box and select the o/s you want as default. Then set the delay time from 30 seconds down to zero and then next time you start up it will Load correctly straight away,

Do it in 2 steps. Do the o/s choice first.

Reboot. If it works, then do the delay time. Just so you have no problems.

The Transporter 13:20 20 May 2003

4th tab across, then the "startup and recovery - settings" button.

lacker 13:34 20 May 2003

Hi mate,
Tried that- unfortunately there is no O/S in the drop down box,presumably because 'boot ini'has been removed by PM8 for some reason.I wonder if there is a download which will enable me to re-instate 'boot.ini'.
Your help is much appreciated though,cheers.
Tony

woodchip 15:15 20 May 2003

You should be able to install XP over it's self. Try starting with the WinXP disc in comp

woodchip 15:17 20 May 2003

PS do not do the above if it's a Restor disc as you will lose everything

lacker 16:11 20 May 2003

Thank you for your advices folks.I have now resolved it by a very tedious method.I reduced the partition with PM8,installed XP home on the unallocated space.Then merged home into Pro and
Voila!!! all is ok.
Regards Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?