Synchronisation using a .bat or .cmd file

GlasgowMary 10:50 09 Jan 2003
  GlasgowMary 10:50 09 Jan 2003

The December issue gave a great .bat (.cmd) file to synchronise files, between folders or computers, which works really well.

However, it only copies files that have been updated or newly created. If I delete a file, on my laptop, that change isn't relected on my main PC, and vice versa.

I would like the batch file to copy just those files that have been updated, and reflect changes in whichever source drive I choose. For example, if I delete a file on my main PC's C:drive, I want that file to be deleted on my laptop. If I've been working on my laptop and deleted files, I want that change to be updated on my main PC.

Is this possible?

I could just copy and paste, but it takes ages!

I use my laptop and PC, interchangeablly. So, sometimes I'm not sure what I've done on which PC!

Can anyone help?

Glasgow Mary

Pesala 13:04 09 Jan 2003

If you archive the My Documents folder on your Desktop PC using Winzip or a similar program, then transfer that instead of individual files.

Updating the archive will, like the batch file, only modify changed files and add new ones.

If you want to removed deleted files from the archive, just delete the entire archive, and recreate it - say, once a month. Keep last month's archive on a CD as a backup.

I use this technique to backup my website, which contains thousands of small files. Space savings are enormous and copying the archive is MUCH quicker than copying the individual files.

Archiving takes just one-click, and is very quick. My backup set, My Documents.zip, contains 965 files compressed from 110 Mbytes to about 49.

The easiest way is to backup the My Documents folder, but you can add files from anywhere on your hard disk. Use the "Store with full path" option so that files get restored to the right place.

Only danger is keeping all your eggs in one basket, but if you keep a CD copy, and keep the archive on your laptop, you will five copies of every file. If space is at a premium on your laptop, you can open the files directly from the archive, and save to disk only your current work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires