synchost.exe

skylark101 15:42 24 Feb 2009

I have 4 instances of synchost.exe on my computer which run on startup and use up loads of memory, I have recently learned that synchost is considered a security risk, does it have any legitimate place on a windows system? and if not how do I get rid of it?

skidzy 15:53 24 Feb 2009

If you indeed have synchost.exe running,then you have an infection !! this we can deal with.

If you mean svchost.exe this is legit and needed for windows to operate correctly.

skidzy 15:59 24 Feb 2009

Ok,it looks like you have RIPJAC TROJAN!

Download and install Malwarebytes free click here

And

Superantispyware click here

Install both and update.

Now boot into safemode by tapping f8 on startup and select safemode (not with networking).

Run both programs and when finished boot back into windows...they should cure your problem.

Do you have antivirus installed and updated ? as this is an old trojan and should have been dealt with.

skidzy 16:49 24 Feb 2009

Yep... thankyou also !

john bunyan 17:06 24 Feb 2009

I noticed you ticked this as resolved. I am sure the rest of us would like to know how, so we can learn lessons, and in particular let skidzy - a very knowledgable guy - know that his suggestion worked.

LinH 17:28 24 Feb 2009

Good one skidzy, that's comprehensively cleared that one up!

LinH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?