Synaptics Touch Pad problems

dms_05 14:28 02 Jan 2011

I have used a Synaptics Touchpad on my W7 laptop for 18 months without a problem. Now it won't work. I've tried the obvious key strokes like Fn/f7 and even update the driver but I still have the same problem.

Essentially if I completely delete the Synaptics Touchpad drivers then reboot the Touchpad works as a PS/2 mouse until I reboot when it doesn't work at all. If I reinstate the latest version of the Synaptics driver then again the Touchpad works until I reboot when it doesn't work.

This has only happened over the holiday period and I'm beginning to suspect a MS Windows update may have caused the problem as I've not used the laptop much over the past two or three weeks.

Has anyone any idea where I should look to find the problem - I'm guessing some service is installed that turns the Touchpad off when I reboot.

dms_05 15:29 02 Jan 2011

I should have said Device Manager shows the Synaptic device installed and fully functional when the driver is installed. It then shows PS/2 Mouse when the Synaptics device/driver is uninstalled.

proudfoot 15:56 02 Jan 2011

If you have a restore point prior to your Windows update try that, it may sort the problem out.

dms_05 16:52 02 Jan 2011

st-clare, thanks for your response. I don't have an restore point available (long story) so I can't try that route.

morddwyd 19:34 02 Jan 2011

What make of laptop?

Some have a little button next to the pad (or maybe elsewhere) which disabled the pad.

It has been known for these to be hit inadvertently (I know!).

dms_05 08:00 03 Jan 2011

It's an Acer 5920. No touchpad switch (other than the softkeys fn/f7).

It seems some service is turning the touchpad off after a reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?