Symbol shortcut in Word?

Fordy 20:04 02 Jan 2003
  Fordy 20:04 02 Jan 2003

Is there a keyboard shortcut to the symbol window in Word to save having to click insert - symbol each time its needed, or a way to put it on the toolbar?
Cheers Fordy

DieSse 20:18 02 Jan 2003

Put the Character Map onto the quick launch bar - this should do it.

Don't forget many symbols have pre-assigned autocorrects in Word - eg if you type ( c ) without the spaces, you get ©

Plus you can assign others that you use commonly, via the character map, or via autocorrect.

Ralpheus 20:22 02 Jan 2003

You probably know this already, but in case not.. If you're using a few particular symbols a lot you can alocate shortcut keys to them individually. Sorry I can't think of a way to answer your question more directly, especially as I've been annoyed by always having to go up to the toolbar myself to get symbols...

cheers

siouxah1 20:27 02 Jan 2003

Not sure on this one, but someone will know.

Is there not a 'shortcut key' set dialogue available on the insert symbol panel. You can assign your own short cut keys here and save them.

That is when you select insert>symbol -- on that window.

If you can follow this then who knows.

siouxah1 20:28 02 Jan 2003

Not sure on this one, but someone will know for sure.

Is there not a 'shortcut key' set dialogue available on the insert symbol panel. You can assign your own short cut keys here and save them.

That is when you select insert>symbol -- on that window.

If you can follow this then who knows.

siouxah1 20:28 02 Jan 2003

Whoopsssss!!!

Peter E 21:27 02 Jan 2003

...to instantly call up the symbols dialogue box. However, you may have noticed that on the menu bar, some letters in a command are underlined. You need to press the Alt key to activate this method of choosing commands. For example, to bring up the symbol dialogue box do this..

Press Alt
Press I (undelined for Insert)
Press S (undelined for Symbol)

and the Symbol dialogue box appears.

Pressing Alt stops cursor flashing and takes you into using underline commands mode. Of course, as others have suggested, you can set your own shortcut keystrokes for individual symbols or use Alt and type in the relevant number from the numeric keypad (if you can remember them).

Also, if anyone is interested, to print a list of keyboard shortcuts, do this (copied from help menu because I couldn't remember it)...

On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Macros.
In the Macros in box, click Word commands.

In the Macro name box, click ListCommands.

Click Run.

In the List Commands dialog box, click Current menu and keyboard settings.

On the File menu, click Print.

Note If you made changes to shortcut key assignments, the changes are included in the printed list of shortcut keys. Shortcut keys you assigned to macros are not included.

Hope all of this is of some help in future.

Regards

Peter E 21:33 02 Jan 2003

I got in a mess when connection dropped.

To activate underline command method...

Press Alt

Then (for example)...

Press I (Insert)

Press S (Symbol)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?